Schedule

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
KaurP
Participant
Participant

Schedule

Postby KaurP Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi Manish,

You are managing a heavy equipment manufacturing project that involves many mechanical, electrical as well as IT staff. Your team prepared a schedule network diagram using duration estimates with dependencies and constraints. Your team also calculated the critical path for the project using late and early values. Today, your project office has indicated about the non-availability of some of the resources you planned for the project. Now, you explore the possibility of modifying the schedule to account for limited resources. What is your best possible step in such a situation?

A. Recalculate critical path using the critical chain method
B. Perform resource leveling to account for limited resources
C. Use crashing or fast tracking to level resources across the project
D. Apply leads and lags to develop a viable schedule

I have not understood what is being asked- 'you explore the possibility of modifying the schedule to account for limited resources'

Resource levelling will modify the schedule and critical chain method can protect it from slipping...
ihuseynli
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Schedule

Postby ihuseynli Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:13 am

My opinion: Question just tell that schedule is prepared, after that, resources become less. There is no word about that critical path or something else can't be changed. So, it just needs to be rescheduled. As availibility in resourse component is changed 'B. Perform resource leveling to account for limited resources' seems the best choise. No one makes you hurry, just reschedule according to actual resources.
Br,
Ismayil Huseynli, ITIL®, OCE®, OCA®
Baku, Azerbaijan
www.linkedin.com/in/ismayilhuseynli
KaurP
Participant
Participant

Postby KaurP Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 am

Option 'A' was marked as the correct answer.

Waiting for response from Manish as well to understand this better.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:35 pm

KaurP wrote:Hi Manish,

You are managing a heavy equipment manufacturing project that involves many mechanical, electrical as well as IT staff. Your team prepared a schedule network diagram using duration estimates with dependencies and constraints. Your team also calculated the critical path for the project using late and early values.
The first half of question tells u that a critical path method is used to create schedule
Today, your project office has indicated about the non-availability of some of the resources you planned for the project.
this is scenario about resource constraint
Now, you explore the possibility of modifying the schedule to account for limited resources. What is your best possible step in such a situation?

in case of resource constraint the best approach is use critical Chain method, A Critical Chain is the "Critical Path honoring resource constraints". The longest path is defined only after resource leveling.
Note that resource leveling by itself will not solve the issue mentioned in the question, resource leveling is done when you have resources been assigned more than their normal working hours, however in this case the resources themselves are unavailable.

A. Recalculate critical path using the critical chain method - technically you do not calculate critical path while using critical chain method, we calculate critical Chain not Path
B. Perform resource leveling to account for limited resources - not done when resources are not available
C. Use crashing or fast tracking to level resources across the project - doesnt help
D. Apply leads and lags to develop a viable schedule - doesnt help

I have not understood what is being asked- 'you explore the possibility of modifying the schedule to account for limited resources'

Resource levelling will modify the schedule and critical chain method can protect it from slipping...
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
anand.sutar

Postby anand.sutar Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:45 am

In my opinion, (correct me If I am wrong.)

Issue is PMP ask Tricky question not straight forward.

Here, Situation is "Today, Project office indicated that some of resouces are not avaiable."

Here it is not explained that these resouces which was planned are impacting Critical Path or not, May be this resouces not impacting the Cricital path.

So with revised resouces plan, recalculating CPM is must and since our recalculation is based on resouces, we using "Critical Chain Method" to comeout with proper solution.

Opt B, C are next step if CPM is -ve floate.

Opt D is just incorrect statement.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:50 pm

not sure I understood what you said
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”