CSM Forum Banner

Resisting to Supportive stakeholders

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Resisting to Supportive stakeholders

Postby pmp_learner Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:42 pm

Found one interesting question on stakeholder management plan.. Thought of sharing with you . Please answer and also explain the rational behind. Would appreciate a response from Manish /Saket as well...:

Qsn : Gordon is managing the development of an healthcare management system. There are about 24 stakeholder identified. About 76% the project work in Execution phase has been completed. Gordon is reviewing the stakeholder management plan and finds out that some of the Resisting stakeholders have now turned Support to the project cause. How should he update the stakeholder management plan now?

A. There is no need to update the stakeholder management plan at this stage, because execution phase s almost over.
B. For these supportive stakeholders, continue with the defined resisting stakeholder management strategy as this has produced positive results.
C. Transfer these stakeholders to the project supporters group, and for these stakeholders, adopt the stakeholder management strategy defined for the project supporters.
D. Transfer these stakeholders to the project supporters group but continue with the defined resisting stakeholder management strategy with these stakeholders.

Thanks
Kavita
kushalks87
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Resisting to Supportive stakeholders

Postby kushalks87 Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:54 am

Hi,

I would go for option C. However it just a guess
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Postby pmp_learner Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi Kushal,
You are right. Option D was given as correct answer.
D. Transfer these stakeholders to the project supporters group but continue with the defined resisting stakeholder management strategy with these stakeholders.

However I would like to discuss the following and appreciate all experts opinion here. :

C. Transfer these stakeholders to the project supporters group, and for these stakeholders, adopt the stakeholder management strategy defined for the project supporters.
Why C is not the best option? Please find my reasoning to support option C

Resisting stakeholders have been changed to supportive stakeholders. So transferring them to Project support group, updating the stakeholder assessment matrix makes perfect sense.
However PM may have different communication needs/communication plan and stakeholders engagement strategy for "Supportive" and "Resisting" stakeholders' groups. So far PM was following Resisting Stakeholders Management strategy for these "Resisting stakeholders which have turned to supportive".. Hence whatever PM had been doing so far for resisting stakeholders have been working well.. Changing the stakeholder management strategy for "these" stakeholders may have negative impact.. Some stakeholders may not like that and might turn to less supportive, neutral etc

Manish/Saket: Please share your thoughts on the same please.

Best Regards
Kavita
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:33 pm

what is the explanation provided for option D?
to me C seems to be best fit
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Postby pmp_learner Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi Manish,

I also chose C, as that seemed best fit to me. However correct answer given was D. No explanation was given. I am not really sure about the authenticity of the qsn. Found this question on youTube.. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmPRi8A6uUg

That's why wanted to share with you and seek your advise on that.

Thanks
Kavita
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:31 pm

OK dont have time to go through the whole video
but my 2 cents - Do not spend time on mocks which do not provide a detail explanation on why a given answer is right or wrong
Br,
Manish P
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:43 pm

i just checked the video and answer is indeed #C
Br,
Manish P
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Postby pmp_learner Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Ah... Sorry Manish.. you are right. Correct answer given was C.. I think I mixed up with C and D ( Must have been dozing when posting this one :oops: .. )
What I really meant to ask why D is not correct option.. and find below my thinking and reason for choosing D -

Resisting stakeholders have been changed to supportive stakeholders. So transferring them to Project support group, updating the stakeholder assessment matrix makes perfect sense.
However PM may have different communication needs/communication plan and stakeholders engagement strategy for "Supportive" and "Resisting" stakeholders' groups. So far PM was following Resisting Stakeholders Management strategy for these "Resisting stakeholders which have turned to supportive".. Hence whatever PM had been doing so far for resisting stakeholders have been working well.. Changing the stakeholder management strategy for "these" stakeholders may have negative impact.. Some stakeholders may not like that and might turn to less supportive, neutral etc
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:33 pm

pmp_learner wrote:Ah... Sorry Manish.. you are right. Correct answer given was C.. I think I mixed up with C and D ( Must have been dozing when posting this one :oops: .. )
What I really meant to ask why D is not correct option.. and find below my thinking and reason for choosing D -

However PM may have different communication needs/communication plan and stakeholders engagement strategy for "Supportive" and "Resisting" stakeholders' groups. So far PM was following Resisting Stakeholders Management strategy for these "Resisting stakeholders which have turned to supportive".. Hence whatever PM had been doing so far for resisting stakeholders have been working well..
[color=#FF4040]Yes it has worked well and thats the reason they have turned supporters, now once they have turned supporters there is no need to treat them in the same way as PM would treat resisting stakeholders, PM has to treat the newly turned supporters as other supportive stakeholders in project , since their needs, level of engagement etc will be that of supporter not of resistors
Changing the stakeholder management strategy for "these" stakeholders may have negative impact..[/color]
Some stakeholders may not like that and might turn to less supportive, neutral etc
Br,
Manish P
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Postby pmp_learner Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Ok got you. Thanks Manish

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”