PMI-PBA Exam Fee

CONFIGURATION VS CHANGE MGT SYSTEM

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
VCAB
Beginner
Beginner

CONFIGURATION VS CHANGE MGT SYSTEM

Postby VCAB Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:21 pm

I would like more clarification...

I understand that configuration mgt system is responsible for managing changes to the product or configurable items; while change management is concerned with the project mgt process and project baselines. But I often hear the the change management system is a subset of the configuration mgt system--this is where I get lost. I understand that product life cycles can have many project within and change mgt system.

Could some explain why is change mgt system is a subset of configuration mgt system. Below is the question that triggered this inquiry
The change management system deals with changes in project processes, baselines, etc. On the other hand, the configuration management deals with the changes in product characteristics. Which of the following statements is true regarding the change management and configuration management systems?
(a) The configuration management system is a subset of the change management system
(b) The change management system is a subset of the configuration management system
(c) The configuration management system and change management system are not related to each other
(d) None of the above
VCAB
Beginner
Beginner

Re: CONFIGURATION VS CHANGE MGT SYSTEM

Postby VCAB Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:41 pm

So, a change to the product can lead to a change in the baseline, right? For example, if the project is a build a 2 bedroom house with one bathroom; later the owner says, he/she wants a guest bathroom. This configuration to the product causes the project baselines to change (say project will be extended for another week and the cost will increase by say $2000. This means that the change in the configuration of product led to a change in the project baseline. So there will be two change request, configuration and project change request.

Am I right or further confused...?
PARAGSAXENA

Postby PARAGSAXENA Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:24 am

hi
Any change related to project baselines will be done my Change Control and Any change to Product characteristics scope will be done by Configuration Control. thats why product scope is different from project scope. I think thats what was asked in the question that you posted.

my understanding of configuration and change management is that for every new configuration there will be a change management in place. So say if you have version 1, version 1.1 , version 1.2 for a same product(House, software , machine etc) then whatever change control requests raised for version 1 were specific to that configuration.

So if a change in Product configuration is required due to govt policy change or customers request etc. It will be a different configuration will be implemented through Configuration Control and any changes to this specific configuration will be done by following change control . that's why Change control is subset of Configuration Control.

Please let me know if this explanation helps.
VCAB
Beginner
Beginner

Postby VCAB Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks, but I was asking, why is change mgt system a subset of configuration mgt system

Below is the question that triggered this inquiry
The change management system deals with changes in project processes, baselines, etc. On the other hand, the configuration management deals with the changes in product characteristics. Which of the following statements is true regarding the change management and configuration management systems?
(a) The configuration management system is a subset of the change management system
(b) The change management system is a subset of the configuration management system
(c) The configuration management system and change management system are not related to each other
(d) None of the above

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”