CSM Forum Banner

Question on Risks Identified.

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
bandarna
Beginner
Beginner

Question on Risks Identified.

Postby bandarna Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:40 pm

According to the PBMOK, the high-level risks are identified while Develop project charter.
According to Rita’s while accepting the above statement she said, the major risk identification effort is done during the planning. I am fine with this.

But if exam asks Where is the most of the risks are identified (Initiating or Planning)? What is the right answer?

Or
Where is the most important risks are identified (Initiating or Planning)? What is the right answer?

-Narsimha
bs_pani

Re: Question on Risks Identified.

Postby bs_pani Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:56 am

@ Narasimha,

Could you please refer to the page # in PMBOK and Rita.

Here is my thought process.

PMBOK page 40 - Risks are high during project initiation. It's not talking about identification of risk.
PMBOK page 72 - high level of risk are identified. It's not talking about "Most / # " of risks are identified.

But Identify Risks are part of the planning process groups where we identy " most / # of " risk. "The most" are in planning but risks identification is a continuous process and throughtout the project life cycle.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:03 am

@bs_pani , you will become PMBOK lawyer very soon :)

Yes we may have risks mentioned in project charter and they can be many, but as far as conscious effort of Project manager on risk, it only gets applied when we do identify risk process. Which is a planning process.

But if exam asks Where is the most of the risks are identified (Initiating or Planning)? What is the right answer?

I go with planning , and it is clear from PMBOK also since identify risk is planning process.

Where is the most important risks are identified (Initiating or Planning)? What is the right answer?

Difficult to tell or judge that risks identified while creating project charter and important or after that. As far as exam and general practice is concern we can fairly assume that we get important risks identified in "identify Risk" process, so the answer should be planning in my view.
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
umeshbww
Contributor
Contributor

Postby umeshbww Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:45 pm

First of all I don't agree exam will have this kind of Q because risk identification is iterative process (continuous) - it is quite hard to tell that most risk are identified in planning process only.

Although - if risk are identified in Initiating phase - you should remember word "high level risk" - exam question should definitely mention "high level risk" for Initiating phase.
GOAL : PMP Certified by 24th Sept 2014 -- ACCOMPLISHED

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”