CSM Forum Banner

Contact Hours vs PDU

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
bs_pani

Contact Hours vs PDU

Postby bs_pani Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:57 am

How is contact hours is different from PDU?
What is required to fill the exam form. PDU, contact hours or both.
Hope izenbridge is providing both.
In that case when do get the contact hours and when do you get the PDU?
Do you get the contact hours just by watching the course content?
And do you need to pass the PDU assessment after the course to get the PDU.

The value of 35 attach to both is confusing me.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Bhabani
umeshbww
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Contact Hours vs PDU

Postby umeshbww Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:25 am

The main difference between Contact Hours and PDUs is that Contact Hours are accumulated prior to PMP Certification and PDUs after PMP Certification.

Before PMP exam you need to accumulate 35 Contact Hours to qualify for PMP exam and after you become a certified PMP, you will need to accumulate 60 Professional Development Units (PDUs) every three years to keep your certification current/active. However the content of the training can be identical.

- Contact Hours can only be earned as traditional course time (such as classroom training, online trainings like iZenbridge PMP Prep Course and distance learning programs like Prepcast) that focuses on project management
- PDUs are earned after one has become certified and there are many ways to earn PDUs.

Right now you seems to be PMP Aspirant - First go thru iZenbridge online videos from Quampus; once you go through all videos - request your 35 contact hours completion certificate through online form submission on Quampus. You should receive 35 hours completion Certificate within 2-3 business days.
- You need 35 contact hours (not PDUs) to apply for PMP Exam + work experience of 4,500 hours leading and directing projects (considering you have bachelor’s degree or above)
- Yes you get 35 contact hours just by watching videos. No exam needed to receive 35 hours certification from iZenbridge. Although iZenbridge course offers exam at every Chapter end which is useful to test your knowledge acquired from videos.
GOAL : PMP Certified by 24th Sept 2014 -- ACCOMPLISHED
bs_pani

Postby bs_pani Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:50 am

Thanks for the swift responses.

I got confused that you need 35 PDU to fill up the form. Anyway...

Another question about the PDU accumulation. So you can accumulate PDU only after you certification? That means you take any course that will give you PDU before your certification, you can not show that PDU towards that 60 PDU.

Why I am asking is that I have enrolled for a state sponsor training next month that will give me 15 PDU but I am planning to go for the PMP certification some time December.
umeshbww
Contributor
Contributor

Postby umeshbww Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:57 pm

I am not sure - so i'm just guessing it. Maybe Experts here can answer this accurately. I did not pay much attention since I did not achieve certification yet - it should change in next 24 hours :)

My guess is No it should not count towards 60 PDUs after Certification because 60 PDUs cycle starts after certification. It should not matter what you do before certification because PMI focus not only on giving certification but also making sure Certified PMP are continuously investing time to keep upto date with PMI Standards and continuously learning/ improving their project management knowledge/skills etc. even after achieving Certification.

Honestly to achieve PMP Certification - you will invest alot more than 35 hours in actual PMP study unless your current Project Managememt knowledge/experience is according to current PMI Standard (PMBOK Edition 5); I almost invested around 140-160 hours easily to prepare for exam. If 1 PDU = 60 minutes - I should earn close to 140 PDUs atleast. But as I mentioned PDUs cycle start fresh once you achieve certification; and renews after every 3 years to keep it active.

But I won't be surprise if there is workaround to adjust this 15 PDUs towards towards 60 PDUs because all above things were just my guess
GOAL : PMP Certified by 24th Sept 2014 -- ACCOMPLISHED
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:11 pm

PDUs need to be earned after PMP and i have written detailed blog explaining how to get it free of cost and that too in weeks time... so do not worry...just finish the PMP :-)
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
bs_pani

Postby bs_pani Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks Saket and Umesh for your details clarification :)

As I said earlier I enrolled myself to CAPM Review classes sponsored by state and they said they will award 15 PDU after the 4 hours long class twice a week for 5 weeks so I was wondering if after spending all these time if I could utilizes the fruit ;) But anyway target is to complete the PMP and getting PDU is a topic to discuss afterword.

Btw is there any similarity of questions between CAMP and PMP. Any idea how deeply they going to cover the PMBOK topics? Is it going to help me much in my PMP preparation? I enrolled to this course hoping it will help me in my PMP preparation.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Bhabani
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:10 am

CAPM is more focused in Knowledge and PMP is more towards skills, in CAPM exam we get more glossary and ITTO based questions where PMP focuses on scenario based questions and see how one can apply knowledge in a given situation.
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”