CSM Forum Banner

Initiating Phase Question

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
taterarpit
Contributor
Contributor

Initiating Phase Question

Postby taterarpit Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:23 am

You are the Project Manager for GeoThermal Systems. Which of the following must be done FIRST before
proceeding with a new project?

A. Create the Project Scope Statement
B. Stakeholder analysis
C. Product analysis
D. Obtain Project Charter approval

Note:- This one seems a straightforward question but in this question do i need to assume that i am involved in preparing Project Charter or for that matter while answering all the question, do i need to assume that project manager is involved in developing project charter. Because getting approval of project charter is responsibility of Sponsor. Please correct me if i am wrong
signor_rk
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Initiating Phase Question

Postby signor_rk Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:16 am

Let us sort out as follows:
A. Create the Project Scope Statement => This is done later in the Planning process Group in the Define Scope Process
B. Stakeholder analysis => This is used as a Tool & Technique in the Initiating Process Group in the Identify Stakeholder Process
C. Product analysis => This is used as a Tool & Technique later in the Planning process Group in the Define Scope Process
D. Obtain Project Charter approval => This is done in the Initiating Process group.

Now, out of option # B & D , Option # D Obtain Project Charter approval is the BEST Choice , as this is the FIRST step a PM should take before proceeding with a new project. Apart from assisting in the development of the Project Charter , it also becomes the responsibility of the PM to get the Project Charter approved soon , otherwise his/her team will be the sufferer proceeding with an unapproved Project Charter later on.
Regards ,

Ranjit
taterarpit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby taterarpit Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:26 am

Thanks Ranjit for the detailed explanation but i have a followup question, do i need to keep in mind while answering that Project Manager is involved in the development of project charter? Thanks!!

Regards
Arpit
signor_rk
Contributor
Contributor

Postby signor_rk Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:24 am

You may refer to Page # 54 , Para 3.3 of PMBOK5 , which states that "Although the project management team may help write the project charter , this standard assumes that business case assessment , approval , and funding are handled externally to the project boundaries (Figure 3-4)." That means it is not mandatory for the PM to write a Project Charter as per PMBOK5 Standard.This is my understanding so far. Any comments please.
Regards ,

Ranjit
taterarpit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby taterarpit Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:38 am

absolutely...that is what my confusion is...PM MAY GET INVOLVED or MAY NOT GET INVOLVED...so if nothing is specified...what we should assume? Since helping sponsor in developing project charter and obtaining approval are two different tasks in my opinion. PM can help but is obtaining approval is his/her role?

Need expert judgement here :-)

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”