Confused about Acceptance test and Acceptance criteria

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMI-ACP® clients
costasz
Beginner
Beginner

Confused about Acceptance test and Acceptance criteria

Postby costasz Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 am

I am a little bit confused about Acceptance tests and acceptance criteria in terms of who writes them, who is responsible, when we should execute them and when is the last responsible moment to have them ready in an agile project (mainly for Scrum).

Is it Product owner/ On-site customer, real customer or development team who writes them and execute them? Or maybe the whole team?
Should they be ready for Release plan, sprint plan or just before the development of the story?

I guess an answer could be that we are progressively elaborating them so we start identifying them once a story is created, we keep elaborating them during development phases but should be 100% ready on last responsible moment (before development).

Also, I believe that PO/On-site customer (who represents the real customer?) should be responsible to clarify them and make them available before sprint meeting so a story can be considered 'ready' for sprint planning but on the second part of sprint planning, the team elaborate them further in order to be clear what they will develop during the execution of the sprint. But again, can we consider that we can start a sprint without having 100% Acceptance tests ready and complete them during the execution? One could say that this is a concept of agile, inspect and adapt.

Moreover, who is testing or who is responsible for testing if we have successfully passed the acceptance criteria? the team? the PO? the customer?

Final question, is it mandatory to be part of DOD?

I am sure that you have already discussed the above questions on different topics on the forum but I am currently seeking for a comprehensive answer that would clarify my confusion.

Thanks!
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: Confused about Acceptance test and Acceptance criteria

Postby seema.sonkiya Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:58 am

I am a little bit confused about Acceptance tests and acceptance criteria in terms of who writes them, who is responsible, when we should execute them and when is the last responsible moment to have them ready in an agile project (mainly for Scrum).

Acceptance criteria are a condition of satisfaction that needs to be met to accept the story as complete.
Acceptance tests are scenarios which are derived from acceptance criteria. In other words, each acceptance criteria can have one or more acceptance tests.

It means the customer is responsible for specifying the acceptance criteria and acceptance test. Often, the customer will have some help from the assigned tester. For acceptance criteria, the customer can take help from Business Analysts and other team members. But the final call is made by the customer.

We can add them, whenever these criteria and test are available, these are emerging in nature. We elaborate acceptance criteria and acceptance test before execution, but sometimes during execution, we feel to add, update these criteria and tests.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 am

I guess an answer could be that we are progressively elaborating them so we start identifying them once a story is created, we keep elaborating them during development phases but should be 100% ready on last responsible moment (before development).

When we are doing development, it means we have a lot of clarity for the selected work. But there is no 100% rule, acceptance criteria and the test can be added during the development also.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:09 am

Is it Product owner/ On-site customer, real customer or development team who writes them and execute them? Or maybe the whole team?
Should they be ready for Release plan, sprint plan or just before the development of the story?

The whole team collaborates but there is one person who takes the final call. If there is PO then, in general, he makes the final call. In XP, we see this is the customer. Sometimes we call this person as a customer; sometimes we call it PO. The main thing is that this person works with all stakeholders and takes the final call and in this way team knows who is available for them for the product vision and it avoids a lot of confusion when multiple people communicate about the needs

Work which is expected to execute shortly are elaborated in detail, and these criteria and test are written. These are evolving in nature and can be added any time.
costasz
Beginner
Beginner

Postby costasz Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:19 am

Thank you Seema for your very detailed answer. Now everything is clear!
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:26 am

Also, I believe that PO/On-site customer (who represents the real customer?) should be responsible to clarify them and make them available before sprint meeting so a story can be considered 'ready' for sprint planning but on the second part of sprint planning, the team elaborate them further in order to be clear what they will develop during the execution of the sprint. But again, can we consider that we can start a sprint without having 100% Acceptance tests ready and complete them during the execution? One could say that this is a concept of agile, inspect and adapt.

Moreover, who is testing or who is responsible for testing if we have successfully passed the acceptance criteria? the team? the PO? the customer?

Final question, is it mandatory to be part of DOD?

Please go through following blog: https://www.izenbridge.com/blog/accepta ... tion-done/
Team

Development team owns DOD and agreed by complete team.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:27 am

Let me know if any further doubt!
costasz
Beginner
Beginner

Postby costasz Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks Seema, no doubts, you have covered everything very detailed! Also, the blog was very useful.

Return to “PMI-ACP® Queries and Tips”