End of Phase - what would you do first

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
puja.pajan1984

End of Phase - what would you do first

Postby puja.pajan1984 Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:39 am

Linda is a PM in charge of an online banking project. The Project has completed Phase 1 and is moving into the next phase of the project. for Phase 2, which of the following processes must be performed first.

1. Define Scope
2. Identify Stakeholder
3.Develop Project Charter
4. Develop Project Management Plan

I would hold off telling the given answer. I would like to guage other folks' thinking to see where mine is wrong. Providing answer ahead, I have noticed, people bias their response to the provided correct answer.
nagak7079@gmail.com

Re: End of Phase - what would you do first

Postby nagak7079@gmail.com Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:36 am

I will go by choice 2.

3. charter cant be modified for every phase, one time for a project.
1,4 can be done after identifying SH. identify SH is continuous process.

1. Define Scope
2. Identify Stakeholder
3.Develop Project Charter
4. Develop Project Management Plan
Prembalaji
Participant
Participant

Postby Prembalaji Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:41 am

3.Develop Project Charter :

Theoretically, Project Charter should be validated before the start of every phase , Hence Option 3 stands good

Ref : PMBOK guide Page 54

Large complex projects should be divided into separate phases. In such projects, the Initiating processes are carried out during subsequent phases to validate the decisions made during the original Develop Project Charter and Identify Stakeholders processes. Performing the Initiating processes at the start of each phase helps to keep the project focused on the business need that the project was undertaken to address
Cheers,
PJ
puja.pajan1984

Postby puja.pajan1984 Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:28 pm

I agree with PMBalaji as well. For new phase to start, initiating process is followed again. So, I also marked Develop Project Charter because what if business need has now changed, hence there may be a change to the SOW etc. These factors need to be re-evaluated. But, per Scardo, the answer was Identfy Stakeholder, which I do not agree with.

Could @Manish sir please advise on this.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:39 pm

puja.pajan1984 wrote:I agree with PMBalaji as well. For new phase to start, initiating process is followed again. So, I also marked Develop Project Charter because what if business need has now changed, hence there may be a change to the SOW etc. These factors need to be re-evaluated. But, per Scardo, the answer was Identfy Stakeholder, which I do not agree with.

Could @Manish sir please advise on this.

it is not mandatory to develop PC at start of every phase.PC is usually a one time affair in project.
Business case validation is key at the start of each phase to ensure that project is still valid, however this is not same as developing PC

From given options identification of stakeholder is best choice
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”