Chapter 5 - Kanban - questions

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMI-ACP® clients
saggarwal

Chapter 5 - Kanban - questions

Postby saggarwal Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:49 am

Question 1:

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/GZH5qC2dYTg

Please refer to above video Kanban. My quick question is: Does every stage has it's own WIP limit ? (I understand that To Do and Done do not have any WIP.)

Question 2:

Below is a question from Chapter 5 Quiz. Please help me understand why is below statement "False".

Throughput is the time it takes one work item to pass though the complete workflow

Thanks
Shalu
PS: Thanks to Saket for KANBAN videos, it was so easy to understand what is the concept of WIP, which I was not understanding after reading at various places.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: Chapter 5 - Kanban - questions

Postby seema.sonkiya Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:57 am

Throughput is the measure of work that has been completed in a given time period (e.g. week, month, quarter).
It is not the time it takes to complete the workflow, it is measure of work completion.

In Scrum, we can say, it is the number of stories that can be completed (meet DoD criteria) in a timebox

Throughput is not velocity. It shows how many stories a team can complete a sprint. The work is usually measured in story points.
saggarwal

Postby saggarwal Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:41 am

Hi Seema, Saket - few more questions on Kanban:

a) Does every stage in Kanban has it's own WIP limit ?

b) My understanding is there is no concept of timeboxed iterations in Kanban. If my understanding is correct, then a task can take infinite amount of time to move from To Do to Done, how do we make sure that the tasks are moving from left to right in timely manner.

Thanks
Shalu
sundara.damaraju
Beginner
Beginner

Postby sundara.damaraju Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:17 pm

The name says "Working in progress". In progress items only has limit, because it consumes capital.

To do is not required a limit because, those can be priortized.

Return to “PMI-ACP® Queries and Tips”