WHY Change request is o/p of planning as well as Conduct Procurement

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
ajaynit
Contributor
Contributor

WHY Change request is o/p of planning as well as Conduct Procurement

Postby ajaynit Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:44 pm

1. Assume My projects scope is wbs having elements "ABC" & "XYZ"

2. i plan to do procurement for my project. decided that "XYZ" WBS element will be bought (make or buy decision) from outside

this step generated change request

3. now i start my conduct procurement wherein i requested for proposal , some proposals came but nothing was good so finally decided not to conduct procurement.

this step again will generate change request which ultimately will restore everything back to step 1 .

here in this example at the end we are where we were so is not it having change request twice redundant??

may be the solution lies in the fact that i am i not able to visualize myself as PM (CEO in Saket's terms) of a big project in this case?
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: WHY Change request is o/p of planning as well as Conduct Procurement

Postby manishpn Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:42 pm

ajaynit wrote:1. Assume My projects scope is wbs having elements "ABC" & "XYZ"

2. i plan to do procurement for my project. decided that "XYZ" WBS element will be bought (make or buy decision) from outside

this step generated change request

3. now i start my conduct procurement wherein i requested for proposal , some proposals came but nothing was good so finally decided not to conduct procurement.

this step again will generate change request which ultimately will restore everything back to step 1 .

here in this example at the end we are where we were so is not it having change request twice redundant??

may be the solution lies in the fact that i am i not able to visualize myself as PM (CEO in Saket's terms) of a big project in this case?

you have answered yourself, think of situation where you actually are able to select a vendor and procure then CR was needed,
if you were not able to procure even then a CR is needed to reflect the changes in plan as you will now have to source more staff within organization to complete the project.
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”