Discuss PMI-ACP® doubts, tips and lesson learned. Be agile with iZenBridge
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

When we define "Definition of Done:?

Postby saket Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:22 am

Got this question...

Definition of Done -
1. This is set during the sprint planning meeting?
2. Can it change during the sprint?
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When we define "Definition of Done:?

Postby saket Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:32 am

Lets start with looking at Definition of Done as per scrum guide

Definition of “Done”
When the Product Backlog item or an Increment is described as “Done”, everyone must understand what “Done” means. Although this varies significantly per Scrum Team, members must have a shared understanding of what it means for work to be complete, to ensure transparency. This is the “Definition of Done” for the Scrum Team and is used to assess when work is complete on the product Increment.

The same definition guides the Development Team in knowing how many Product Backlog items it can select during a Sprint Planning Meeting. The purpose of each Sprint is to deliver Increments of potentially releasable functionality that adhere to the Scrum Team’s current Definition of “Done.”
Development Teams deliver an Increment of product functionality every Sprint. This Increment is useable, so a Product Owner may choose to immediately release it.

Each Increment is additive to all prior Increments and thoroughly tested, ensuring that all Increments work together.
As Scrum Teams mature, it is expected that their Definition of “Done” will expand to include more stringent criteria for higher quality.

1. So it should not be set for one sprint but it is for overall communication of what is the meaning of Done.
2. We should not change it mid sprint. Based on retrospective it may get changed for future sprints but it is not expected to change on case to case basis.

Let me know if we need to discuss this further...

Image Image Image Image
abhibeats
Participant
Participant

Postby abhibeats Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:19 pm

I havent understand point no.1
definition of Done is not acceptance criteria??
can you please explain with any example?
ndvsss

Postby ndvsss Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Saket, for point 1, wouldn't the DOD apply to each item in the sprint backlog which will be verified in sprint review? I was under the understanding that every every item in the spring backlog will have it's own DOD.

For the next sprint, we will have new items/features that will be selected into the sprint backlog which will have a different DOD associated with them. So I am little confused as to why DOD will be set for the entire project.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:41 pm

I will write about this topic as blog soon, as of now here is blog from Mike Cohn

https://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/bl ... ions-of-sa

Image Image Image Image
SKaushal

Postby SKaushal Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:57 am

The Definition of Done should not be set in stone, and we should incorporate any key learning over time.
abhibeats
Participant
Participant

Postby abhibeats Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:26 pm

As per my current understanding,
definition of done= is a measurement/acceptance criteria at user story level, how we can say a user story is complete.
conditions of satisfaction = is more a release level criteria or a high level criteria that must be achieved to say customer requirement is achieved or provided.

please correct me if any variances in my understanding.
ashish.jais

Postby ashish.jais Thu May 18, 2017 6:17 am

COS capture the expectations of the PO and they exist at various levels (release, iteration, story).

Release Level: At the start of release planning, the team and product owner collaboratively explore the product owner’s conditions of satisfaction. These include the usual items—scope, schedule, budget, and quality

Iteration Level: Definition of done (Applicable to all stories in sprint backlog)

Story Level:Acceptance Criteria is how the PO will confirm that a story has been implemented to its satisfaction (the Confirmation). They are a more formal definition of the COS

I think at SCRUM level all are same.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Thu May 18, 2017 11:21 am

Here is the detailed view for the differences in DOD and Acceptance Criteria:

https://www.izenbridge.com/blog/accepta ... tion-done/

Return to “PMI-ACP® Open Forum”