CSM Forum

How Agile estimation differs from traditional estimation?

Discuss PMI-ACP® doubts, tips and lesson learned. Be agile with iZenBridge
Harun Raseed

How Agile estimation differs from traditional estimation?

Postby Harun Raseed Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:07 pm

I understand Agile estimation is different from traditional estimation in terms that in tradition we estimate once and will stick to the initial estimation. But in Agile we perform initial estimation and keep add features to product backlog and for every iteration we perform rolling wave planning on the Sprint backlog we planned.

But my question is How Agile estimation helps to identify size of the product/project as a whole and tradition estimation do the same. How do we know this product is of 500 story point.

Rational behind this question is as a Product Owner, How do sure on the budget i requested for the product i am envisioning. I understand there can be certain % of the deviation. But that should not be much.

Thank you.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: How Agile estimation differs from traditional estimation?

Postby seema.sonkiya Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:38 am

In traditional methods, when we make a plan, the meeting or following the plan becomes as a measure of success. The changes are taken as an exception and most of the time not appreciated.

In Agile, the client and other sponsors know that estimates are not perfact and these are based on a lot of assumptions and perceptions and the project plan will be adjusted as the information evolves with the iterations.

Now how the budget is maintained? - Think about a marriage event, a budget is almost fixed (of course, it could be in a certain range) and date of marriage is also fixed, from these two fixed things most valuable items are arranged which is most suitable both for bride and groom. In the same way, in Agile, we focus on the value and lot of negotiations and collaboration is done to make the project successful. Here success of a project is not measured how successfully you met the budget and schedule. The success is measured by how usable the product is developed for the real users.

Return to “PMI-ACP® Open Forum”