CSM Forum Banner

Time Management Question

Here we discuss Freely Available PMP® mock exam questions. Internet is full of free PMP® Simulators but most of these simulators does not provide good explanation of answers, here we discuss them.
balaji1987

Time Management Question

Postby balaji1987 Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:07 am

You have been assigned as the Project Manager of a development project. The WBS has been completed and the activity sequencing has also been done. The activity duration estimate has also been received by each of the team members. What should be the next step in the projects

• Get cost estimate of each activity
• Create WBS dictionary
• Compress schedule
• Finalize schedule

I got Option 3 as answer, but i guess it should be option 4.
Please let me know the answer to the same, and justification.
suresi00
Participant
Participant

Re: Time Management Question

Postby suresi00 Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:06 am

What I am thinking?

Does this has more scenario attached to it. Ofcourse if the schedule is not fitting with the delivery date we have to compress the schedule.
After that only we finalize it. This is the first time iteration.

PM has the first schedule. He compares the schedule with the constraint of delivery date , then he see whether he can compress the schedule.
After that he finalize the schedule.

Question doesn't seem clear rather appear more vague to me.
balaji1987

Postby balaji1987 Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:43 am

Yeah.. This question was from simplylearn practice test #4.
suresi00
Participant
Participant

Postby suresi00 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 pm

We can think in an intuitive way. From our experience as a PM we know that after sequencing the initial schedule needs some optimization.
Here the catch is team members did the estimation. Now as a Project team we are collectively going over the complete estimate and trying to come up with project schedule.

Next Step we do is optimize the schedule. I guess here they meant compression for optimization. This is what I do in my real life. But lets wait for an expert answer.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:26 pm

suresi00 wrote:We can think in an intuitive way. From our experience as a PM we know that after sequencing the initial schedule needs some optimization.
Here the catch is team members did the estimation. Now as a Project team we are collectively going over the complete estimate and trying to come up with project schedule.

Next Step we do is optimize the schedule. I guess here they meant compression for optimization. This is what I do in my real life. But lets wait for an expert answer.

I agree to it.
Schedule compression is not done only when there is a constraint, its a best practice to try and optimize the schedule in first pass itself. This is to make optimal use to available resources to project.
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Mock Exams Open Questions”