CSM Forum Banner

cost of quality questions

Here we discuss Freely Available PMP® mock exam questions. Internet is full of free PMP® Simulators but most of these simulators does not provide good explanation of answers, here we discuss them.
sdutt

cost of quality questions

Postby sdutt Mon May 01, 2017 9:29 am

Following is a question i came across in another forum. people saying answer as 'c' but not too convinced . Can someone pls explain . thanks .

The way i see it ..'.do' of pdca falls in execution process and as per the Fig 8.2 of pmbok ...it says inspection ...whereas failure costs should be under M&C as you detect failures in this process.

Following P-D-C-A quality improvement cycle, quality defects identified in 'D' part of the cycle forms part of which COQ?

(a) Prevention cost of conformance
(b) Appraisal cost of conformance
(c) Internal failure cost of non-conformance
(d) External failure cost of non-conformance

Hint: Refer the figure 8-2 and 8-5 of the PMBOK (5th Ed.)
VCAB
Participant
Participant

Re: cost of quality questions

Postby VCAB Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Let me attempt:

Following is a question i came across in another forum. people saying answer as 'c' but not too convinced . Can someone pls explain . thanks .
The way i see it ..'.do' of pdca falls in execution process and as per the Fig 8.2 of pmbok ...it says inspection ...whereas failure costs should be under M&C as you detect failures in this process.

Following P-D-C-A quality improvement cycle, quality defects identified in 'D' part of the cycle forms part of which COQ?

(a) Prevention cost of conformance
(b) Appraisal cost of conformance
(c) Internal failure cost of non-conformance
(d) External failure cost of non-conformance
---------------------------------------
PLAN-DO-CHECK-ACT (PDCA)
The question speaks about defects; deliverables are inspected during M&C (quality Control) and defects detected. This falls under non-conformity. Defects leads to rework, which is costly; inspection or verification is internal. Therefore C is right...Refer to 8-5
sdutt

Postby sdutt Mon May 01, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi....going by the defect logic 'C' seems correct to me too. ....and that also conforms to Fig 8.2 of PMBOK. But , my question was more regarding the 'D' part pf the PDCA cycle where DO lies in executing process as per Fig 8.2 of PMBOK...also the arrow from the inspection box points towards conformance work ...whereas option "c" in the questions is regarding non conformance . That's where my confusion lies.......can someone pls redirect me to any resource that clearly explains Fig 8.2 of PMBOK. thanks .
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nazrulq Wed May 03, 2017 6:19 pm

My Answer should be C. As question already indicates defects which are fallen into
Cost of Non-conformance - Internal Failure Cost.
Ref: PMBOK , Figure 8-5,Page -235
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Wed May 03, 2017 7:32 pm

sdutt wrote:Hi....going by the defect logic 'C' seems correct to me too. ....and that also conforms to Fig 8.2 of PMBOK. But , my question was more regarding the 'D' part pf the PDCA cycle where DO lies in executing process as per Fig 8.2 of PMBOK...also the arrow from the inspection box points towards conformance work
The arrow from inspection box points towards both conformance and non conformance (through Fix/scrap)
When you have non conformance we need to either scrap the deliverable if it cannot be used at all or fix it to meet quality need. Fixing is done through approved CR which are carried our in executing process. so although the arrow from non conformance box is not shown feeding into plan/Do, this is how the flow should be

...whereas option "c" in the questions is regarding non conformance . That's where my confusion lies.......can someone pls redirect me to any resource that clearly explains Fig 8.2 of PMBOK. thanks .
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Mock Exams Open Questions”