Rita Question

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
salman_2005
Participant
Participant

Rita Question

Postby salman_2005 Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:11 pm

A project manager had a complex problem to solve and facilitated a team decision about what needed to be done. A few months later, the problem resurfaced. What did the project manager most likely NOT do?

A. Perform proper risk analysis
B. Confirm the desision solve the problem
C. Have the project sponsor validate the decision
D. Use an Ishikawa diagram

I think the answer should be D since the problem resurfaced that means the root cause was not being addressed. But, the answer is A. Though A can be correct too but I think it is a weak answer.

Please correct my understanding.

Thank you.

Salman
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Rita Question

Postby manishpn Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:32 am

salman_2005 wrote:A project manager had a complex problem to solve and facilitated a team decision about what needed to be done. A few months later, the problem resurfaced. What did the project manager most likely NOT do?

A. Perform proper risk analysis
B. Confirm the desision solve the problem
C. Have the project sponsor validate the decision
D. Use an Ishikawa diagram

I think the answer should be D since the problem resurfaced that means the root cause was not being addressed. But, the answer is A. Though A can be correct too but I think it is a weak answer.

Please correct my understanding.

I agree with you, is this question in Ritas book or?
If we want a problem to be fixed, identifying root cause and eliminating the root cause is of essence, risk analysis is also important but it will not necessarily prevent the re occurrence of the problem, maybe the intensity of problem/risk can be reduced by mitigation plan.

Thank you.

Salman
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
salman_2005
Participant
Participant

Postby salman_2005 Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Thank you Manish. Yes, this is in Rita's book.
PCS

Postby PCS Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:40 am

This question falls in Quality process:
In quality process there are following two techniques for eliminating the problem
1) Ishikawa/Rooot cause analysis:
When all the root causes are identified and eliminated the problem does not occur.
2)Problem Solving:
Root cause analysis is a subset of problem solving. It is one of the steps in the problem solving.

From the given options, answer is D.
However on a second thought, when the re-occurrence of the problem is considered as a risk, AVOID response can be considered to eliminate it( make probability zero) ? But since this problem already occurred(Negative RISK already occurred is called an issue) once and details are not available as if it was identified as a risk during that time, i go for option -D.

Regards,
PCS.

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”