scope management plan

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
kunwar

scope management plan

Postby kunwar Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:16 am

Q- your cost forecast shows that you will cost overrun at the end of the project. your sponser has told you clearly that he doesn't have more money to prevent this from happening. what can you do?

a) fast tracking
b) meet with your senior manager to find out if the company would like to invest money in this project
c) crashing
d) decrease the scope

pl guide for correct answer , can we decrease the scope as fast tracking/ crashing requires the more resources'/cost.

Thanks
Kunwar goyal
ihuseynli
Beginner
Beginner

Re: scope management plan

Postby ihuseynli Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:20 am

Decrease scope maybe an option but can lead customer dissatisfaction. I think fast tracking is the best choise. You do same work with same resources in a shorter time and it decreases your costs(mainly resource costs)
Br,
Ismayil Huseynli, ITIL®, OCE®, OCA®
Baku, Azerbaijan
www.linkedin.com/in/ismayilhuseynli
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:05 pm

kunwar wrote:Q- your cost forecast shows that you will cost overrun at the end of the project. your sponser has told you clearly that he doesn't have more money to prevent this from happening. what can you do?

Question makes little sense to me however lets look at the options and see if we can eliminate

a) fast tracking - Can be an option to do activities in parallel, it may save some money by freeing up resources earlier if you finish project faster
b) meet with your senior manager to find out if the company would like to invest money in this project Not the job of project manager to bypass sponsor, for PM sponsor guidance is enuf unless there is an ethical violation situation
c) crashing - needs additional resources , more money so not an option
d) decrease the scope - this is a negative approach and we should restrict in choosing a negative option unless there are specific situations mentioned in the question

pl guide for correct answer , can we decrease the scope as fast tracking/ crashing requires the more resources'/cost.

Thanks
Kunwar goyal
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
kunwar

Postby kunwar Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am

thanks
I got the answer
kunwar

Postby kunwar Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:52 pm

hi,

chapter 6 page 45 for in PPT for Project schedule management ;

Schedule Compression Techniques :
"
Fast Tracking
Doing critical path activities in parallel , adds to Risk
Crashing
Adding more resources to complete the activities – adds to cost.

Reduce scope
Cut quality "

My query is now why can't we reduce scope if we have cost constraint ,for fast tracking we have limited resources and they are working on different dependent activities .Also as per PMBOK 6 page 215 ,Fast tracking may also increase cost.

regards
Kunwar goyal
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:59 pm

you can always reduce/Scope but there is no mention in the question which helps PMs case to reduce scope,
selecting that option without any supporting inormation in question is a negative approach and I would not use that option.
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”