PMP questios for discussion-1

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
yogesh
Contributor
Contributor

PMP questios for discussion-1

Postby yogesh Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:44 am

Putting these question in discussion.It shd be helpful to all.
lets discussion these scenario questions

Questions1:
You are a project manager and you are aware that there have been lots of change request that has added more work to the project plan. Your team members have complained in meetings that, they are doing lots of overtime and they want a better work life balance. What should you do first?Options:
A: Discuss this with your functional manager and sponsor
B: Try your best to obtain additional time for the project
C: Plan some training that can enhance your team competency
D: Re-plan the baselines
My answer:D
Correct answer:B

Question 8:
Lee is managing a material handling equipment project. The cranes have to be designed as per a particular standard. The engineers have to know the standard well. Robert who is an expert was to start work next week, but due to some personal emergency, he has gone out of the country. Now, Lee has decided to assign some alternative resource who knows the standard well, but his technical skills may not be as good as Robert's. This may trouble the customer. What should Lee do?Options:
A: Lee should reassign a resource with lower competency as long as it does not violate legal, regulatory, and mandatory or any other specific criteria.
B: Lee cannot reassign a resource as he is not the project sponsor.
C: Lee should reassign a resource and ask him to upgrade his skills quickly.
D: Lee should not reassign the resource till he finds an equally skilled resource.

My answer:C
Correct answer:A
namita

Re: PMP questios for discussion-1

Postby namita Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:45 am

Questions1:
You are a project manager and you are aware that there have been lots of change request that has added more work to the project plan. Your team members have complained in meetings that, they are doing lots of overtime and they want a better work life balance. What should you do first?Options:

So for this question my take is option B should be little more clear but if I got the intent of question right, its trying to ask what you need to do first when you have Change requests in your project and the answer is we need to First analyze the CR and get proper approval on additional time/cost etc and once the approval is given it should update the effected artifacts (plans/baselines). Option B is trying to ask about step required before updating the baselines.
namita

Postby namita Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:50 am

Question 8:
Lee is managing a material handling equipment project. The cranes have to be designed as per a particular standard. The engineers have to know the standard well. Robert who is an expert was to start work next week, but due to some personal emergency, he has gone out of the country. Now, Lee has decided to assign some alternative resource who knows the standard well, but his technical skills may not be as good as Robert's. This may trouble the customer. What should Lee do?Options:
A: Lee should reassign a resource with lower competency as long as it does not violate legal, regulatory, and mandatory or any other specific criteria.
D: Lee should not reassign the resource till he finds an equally skilled resource.

Here I go with you. Option A is clear conflict with ethics. Purposefully assigning lower competency resource should not be a right option. However if the option should have been phrased as Lee can assign resource with lower competency than Robert as long .... that would have been tricky
yogesh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby yogesh Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:26 am

updating baseline shd be option D. In that we are trying to change the baseline.

Option B means go directly to sponsor and ask for extra time.

Reason:
Reference: PMBoK (v5, P-56) - 3.5 Executing Process Group
Explanation:
Since you know that the change requests have added extra work, its best to ask for additional time from your sponsor
namita

Postby namita Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:16 am

Reference is correct. See below but explanation is not correct as its clearly mentioned if approved.

The results of the analysis can trigger change requests that,if approved, may modify the project management plan or other project documents and possibly require establishing new baselines. A large portion of the project’s budget will be expended in performing the Executing Process Group processes.
yogesh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby yogesh Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:33 am

So Option B is correct as its pointing towards "Change Request" and Options D is NOT correct as this steps comes after "Change Request" .
namita

Postby namita Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:49 am

So as stated earlier, Option B should have been phrased little better where its pointing to approval rather than informal ask for additional time/cost. Otherwise Yes, we need to first get approval on additional time/cost and then update baselines
sunku65
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sunku65 Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:55 am

yogesh wrote:Putting these question in discussion.It shd be helpful to all.

Questions1:

The correct answer is B.
Again, for the exam, assume proper project management was done unless the questions say otherwise.
Here the issue is over time. We need to focus on this only on time not Re-plan the baselines.
In case the team members complained about unrealistic schedule. Then this is the project manager fault then need to Re-plan the baselines.
sunku65
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sunku65 Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:12 am

yogesh wrote:Putting these question in discussion.It shd be helpful to all.

Question 8:

I stand with A.
Lee as a project manager, need to give a chance to lower competency resource as a part of improves team members efficiency. Since this lower competence resource is knows the standard well. Lee is decided to assign this lower competency resources now onwards instead of next week. So, considering this resource is reasonable as long as it does not violate legal, regulatory, and mandatory or any other specific criteria. If you assign like this way, why should may trouble the customer.
sunku65
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sunku65 Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:51 am

yogesh wrote:updating baseline shd be option D. In that we are trying to change the baseline.

Option B means go directly to sponsor and ask for extra time.

Reason:
Reference: PMBoK (v5, P-56) - 3.5 Executing Process Group
Explanation:
Since you know that the change requests have added extra work, its best to ask for additional time from your sponsor

@Yogesh,

Here, not the problem go directly to sponser and ask extra time. Here is the problem is that the PM is adequately done the Impact analysis and justification for extra time.
Suppose if you go to sponser and asks extra time, the sponser will call the CCB incharge and asks why happened this. see this:

PM : Hey sponsor, i want extra time for bla,bla,bla change requests.
Sponser : Call the CCB incharge, and asks to him why you sanctioned less time for those Change Requests.
CCB Incharge : says to sponser, According to PM analysis impact and supporting documents that much amount of time we sanctioned.
Sponser : show me the Formal Documentation of the Change request and supporting impact analysyis.
CCB Incharge : Here, this is the docs.
Sponser : Verifies and asks explanation to PM.
PM : Sorry, i did my self this new activities duration estimats due to time save.

So, the answer is again do impact analysis very well and asking duration times from team members who woks on that and request additional time for that.

All these are assumption for your explanations.

Thanks,
Lax
namita

Postby namita Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:42 pm

I hope this thread is closed now. Any follow up question feel free to ask
yogesh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby yogesh Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:37 am

namita,

What is difference between choice A AND C.
sunku65
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sunku65 Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Upgrade skills cost to the Budget and time consuming.
Still don't know he will be Well in Standards.
namita

Postby namita Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:40 pm

For me

Option A: knowingly allocating less competent resource
Option C: putting best available resource and helping him upgrading the skills to fill the gap
Sud
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sud Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:01 am

Hi Namita,

Regarding the question related to CR, my thought is like this. You suggested that based on approved CR, PM should ask for additional time and get an approval on same. But when the CR got approved, then the additional time should also have been approved. Do you mean to say that the time estimated by the PM on which he got approval was NOT realistic. If yes then, I believe, that he again has to raise a CR and get approval on additional time. After this the baslines/PMP etc have to be updated if he sees the team to be comfortable with the additional time.

Please let me know that is my understanding right. If not, please correct me.

--Sud
namita

Postby namita Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:15 am

Hi Sud,

what is said is as below:
So for this question my take is option B should be little more clear but if I got the intent of question right, its trying to ask what you need to do first when you have Change requests in your project and the answer is we need to First analyze the CR and get proper approval on additional time/cost etc and once the approval is given it should update the effected artifacts (plans/baselines). Option B is trying to ask about step required before updating the baselines.

Once approval is given to CR, we need to update the Proj Management plan, baselines etc.. not ask of additional time. Additional time/cost might have already approved
yogesh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby yogesh Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:42 am

As additional time is approved that why we are updating the project management plan AND basseline.
namita

Postby namita Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:03 am

Because that additional time/cost will need to be embedded with baselines which are created earlier without these additional components.

Example: As per earlier schedule, project was going live on 30-Jul-14 but CR has additional requirements with which it will now go live on 20-Aug-14. Going forward all controlling processes should take 20-Aug-14 as target date to manage variance

Same is true for cost/scope as well
Sud
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sud Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 am

Hi Namita,

Thanks. My only point is that, In ths question, inorder to consider as right the option of going back to the management to ask for additional time, we have to assume that the earlier approved time-estimates were not ok. Is my understnad right?

--Sud
namita

Postby namita Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:44 am

Yes, hte point I am tying to make is, baselining happens with right numbers only but due to CRs there is an impact on baselines which has to be updated for approved changes
Sud
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sud Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:50 am

Great, Thanks. Clear.
sunku65
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sunku65 Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:31 pm

yogesh wrote:

What is difference between choice A AND C

Namita Wrote

For me

Option A: knowingly allocating less competent resource
Option C: putting best available resource and helping him upgrading the skills to fill the gap

PMBOK#268

If the human resources are not available due to constraints, such as economic factors or previous assignments to other projects, the PM ot project team may be required to assign alternative resources, perhaps with lower competencies, provided there is no violation of legal, regulatory, mandatory, or other specific criteria.
yogesh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby yogesh Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:29 am

Thanks

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”