Creating wbs after project charter development

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
Adel_M

Creating wbs after project charter development

Postby Adel_M Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:53 am

Hello everyone..
I’ve seen many examples of project work breakdown structure that include “project charter development” as a work package. Since “create wbs” process is planning process and comes after developing and delivering the project charter in the initiating phase, how comes the project charter development is included in wbs? Is it right thing to do? Or Is there cases where to create wbs before project charter?

Thank you ..
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: Creating wbs after project charter development

Postby seema.sonkiya Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:57 am

Sorry for the delay in the response, Yes creating WBS comes in the planning process, which is detailed form and shows all deliverable s. This WBS represent all product and project work.

In project charter process, we work for high level scope and a high level WBS can be created during develop project charter process. For more details of Develop project Charter, you can watch following video:

Adel_M

Postby Adel_M Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:59 am

Thank you seema , my question was “why to include “develop project charter” work package in the wbs? “ . Since the charter has been already developed before the creation of wbs. I hope I clarified the question. Thank you again.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:12 pm

Adel_M wrote:Thank you seema , my question was “why to include “develop project charter” work package in the wbs? “ . Since the charter has been already developed before the creation of wbs. I hope I clarified the question. Thank you again.

the reason is simple WBS should capture all the effort and deliverable of Project.
This will also server as historical information (OPA) for other projects
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
Adel_M

Postby Adel_M Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:46 pm

Thank you Manish P

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”