Schedule for Preparation - Working Mom

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
puja.pajan1984

Schedule for Preparation - Working Mom

Postby puja.pajan1984 Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:02 am

I need help with scheduling my preparation and want to know from other folks who also work 10 hours/ day, when did you guys study. I have a 2 year old son and also have a job that is very time consuming. I am sure this situation is not unique to me, but I am struggling to find time to study.
1. Do you guys study at night after dinner?
2. When do you practice Mock Test? And then spend time in analysis?
ajaynit
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Schedule for Preparation - Working Mom

Postby ajaynit Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:05 am

This is Quite a interesting question and being a regular izenbridge forum visitor i couldn't resist myself from responding to this question.

to speak about myself, i do it whenever i have time.. no fixed timings . though the planning is done as 2-3 hrs on weekdays (evenings/night) and 3-5 hrs on weekends but when i pull up the actual data then i see large deviation .sometimes weekdays goes just like that by being on single page from Monday to Friday and sometimes its like in a day you cover whole chapter..

i believe while studying being in right state of mind is very important. unfortunately with work/family ,many a times its difficult to be in that perfect state of mind.Also i have told to myself doesn't matter if i crawl, jog, run , race but i have to keep moving as thats the only way forward and also have stopped studying thinking just pass/fail (though passing is one of the goal here:-) ) .. so far i am enjoying my journey of studying for PMP exam... with that ,soon i should write either my success story or may be a blog on "failure is not fatal,courage to continue is what counts:-)"
kushalks87
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kushalks87 Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 am

Hi folks,

I completed pmp last month and was in the same situation. 10hrs work and 3 hr commute. Also, i work in second shift which means i used to reach home at 11. What I used to do was listen to Saket's webinar and doubt clarification session on the quampus site each way when travelling to and fro from work.

At home, i used to read my notes which i scribbled through out the course of preparation and practice some maths on weekdays 1hr post dinner and also used to get up 30 mins earlier than my normal wake up time to read articles on izenbridge with respect to PMP.

Weekends I used to study for 6-7 hrs (with 1 lunch break and 1 hr for house hold errands and chores) without any distraction. I used to switch off my wifi and put my phone locked in cupboard for no distraction. I also deleted whatsapp for more than 2 months before the exam which helped me immensely.
I understand that you have a kid of 2 years and it is going to be tough but you will need to adjust and study according to his/her sleeping patterns to get the maximum out of it. Also, understand that this is temporary phase and once exam is over and you have cleared exam, you have all the time to do other extracurricular activity.

I used to attempt mocks during weekends in the exam time slot i had booked the exam. I used to spend 2hrs to review wrong questions(and look up the concepts which were unclear in headfirst, and rita) and 2hrs to review right questions. Believe me you will learn more by analyzing mocks as you will uncover few tools or concepts which were unclear to you. Happy to help in case you have more questions.
kushalks87
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kushalks87 Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 am

ajaynit wrote:This is Quite a interesting question and being a regular izenbridge forum visitor i couldn't resist myself from responding to this question.

to speak about myself, i do it whenever i have time.. no fixed timings . though the planning is done as 2-3 hrs on weekdays (evenings/night) and 3-5 hrs on weekends but when i pull up the actual data then i see large deviation .sometimes weekdays goes just like that by being on single page from Monday to Friday and sometimes its like in a day you cover whole chapter..

i believe while studying being in right state of mind is very important. unfortunately with work/family ,many a times its difficult to be in that perfect state of mind.Also i have told to myself doesn't matter if i crawl, jog, run , race but i have to keep moving as thats the only way forward and also have stopped studying thinking just pass/fail (though passing is one of the goal here:-) ) .. so far i am enjoying my journey of studying for PMP exam... with that ,soon i should write either my success story or may be a blog on "failure is not fatal,courage to continue is what counts:-)"

I was definitely one of the not so bright students at izenbridge(you have already seen my pathetic mock scores) and still i cleared so i think you should not worry much pass the exam and post your success story :D

All the best
ajaynit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ajaynit Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:11 am

thanks Kushal :-)
puja.pajan1984

Postby puja.pajan1984 Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks Guys. I am doing the same thing studying here and there when my son goes to sleep which is not until 10:30 PM :( and then study as much as I can get my brain to function. Thanks for response, I am clearly not alone in this situation.
khushbu agrawal

Postby khushbu agrawal Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:43 am

I am in the same situation and my son is 2 years old who hardly sleeps
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:24 pm

in that case find a baby sitter to get focused preparation time and schedule exam with enough buffer
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
puja.pajan1984

Postby puja.pajan1984 Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks all for your advice. My exam is already scheduled for March 16 2018 (so close to course change date). Lets see how it all goes.

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”