Project Boundary starts after Project charter preparation?

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
ajaynit
Contributor
Contributor

Project Boundary starts after Project charter preparation?

Postby ajaynit Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:16 am

i am bit confused in the project boundary.
Project Boundary starts after Project charter preparation is done? or developing project charter is within project's boundary.
please help
suresi00
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Project Boundary starts after Project charter preparation?

Postby suresi00 Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:30 am

The key objective of project charter to define the project start and project boundaries. Project officially starts with the authorization of Project chart .

Please refer PMBOK page 424. It says the project starts with authorization of project charter. To me then Project charter is outside the boundary and it defines the start of the boundary

Manish sir is my understanding right?
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:34 pm

ajaynit wrote:i am bit confused in the project boundary.
Project Boundary starts after Project charter preparation is done? or developing project charter is within project's boundary.
please help

Do not look at project boundary only from the perspective of Project charter.
Project boundary diagram 3-4 explains
If Project charter development was outside the project boundary we would not have had that as process in PMBOK.
post Jan 17 changes, PMI expects that PM should be involved at early stage of project selection.
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
suresi00
Contributor
Contributor

Postby suresi00 Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:11 am

Manish sir,

Page 54 just above the figure 3-4 the sentence states like this :

" Although project team may help in writing the project charter the standard assumes that business case assessment, approval and funding are handled external to the project boundaries. A project boundary is defined as the point in time at which the start and completion of the project or phase is authorized.
When the project charter is approved the project become officially authorized. so that is the point where project starts.

Leaving to the discretion of the initiator of the question.
ajaynit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ajaynit Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:56 am

Thanks Manish & Suresh for your opinion... with these 2 opinions i still feel i am where i were. :?
ajaynit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ajaynit Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 am

A precise observation on the diagram suggested by Manish is making me interpret that initiating process (i.e project charter in this context) lie partially inside project boundary and lie partially outside project boundary.

With above observation , PMBOK page number 54/424 quoted by Sures also falls inline.

(My) conclusion is activities till the time project charter is approved/authorized falls outside project boundary and the moment charter is authorized Project Boundary Starts..

am i making any sense here?

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”