change request

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
shaibajit
Beginner
Beginner

change request

Postby shaibajit Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:34 pm

You are managing a software project that is due for design document release next week. An influential stakeholder asks you to add a feature to the existing design. This stakeholder has earlier made unreasonable demands during the last days of release. What is the best you can do in this situation?

1. Report his behavior to the senior Manager and suggest that he no longer be associated with your project as a stakeholder
2. As this person is influential, you have no option but to listen to him and add the functionality
3. Determine the impact of this change on your schedule and their constraints before taking a decision
4. Ask him to raise a written change request and then follow integrated change control
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: change request

Postby manishpn Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:50 pm

we encourage participants to attempt and provide their own logic and reasoning and we can help them learn through this way
simply posting questions and getting an answer from me would not help you learn through mistakes and discussions

i would go with option #4
lets see how do you reason this
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
Prembalaji
Participant
Participant

Postby Prembalaji Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:02 am

The Keyword is "Existing" Design: which means the design has been formally approved, any changes to a formally approved entity, should go through CR process

But Option 3 is closer though, as a PM u need to evaluate the request for change first, and then advise the stakeholder to raise a change.

Please share your views
Cheers,
PJ
shaibajit
Beginner
Beginner

Postby shaibajit Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Whenever there is any new request, we need to check its impact and then only proceed for raising the CR. This points towards Option 3.

But, since the Project is nearing document release, any new feature will definitely have impact on the baselines. In such case, asking for a formal CR (option 4) should be the best option. Once the CR is raised, necessary impact analysis can be done and all documents can be forwarded to CCB.

So I will go for Option 4.

Hope my reasoning is ok.
rahul.kanugo
Participant
Participant

Postby rahul.kanugo Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:14 pm

1.stakeholder is influential........ so cant be ignored
2.project manager has authority to analyse CR without going to CCB.
3. for any change, raising CR is the first step for any stakeholder, so that changes can be enetratined by PM. As stakeholder is also a trouble shooter so it would be convenient to raise CR first get it approved
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 pm

shaibajit wrote:Whenever there is any new request, we need to check its impact and then only proceed for raising the CR. This points towards Option 3.

But, since the Project is nearing document release, any new feature will definitely have impact on the baselines. In such case, asking for a formal CR (option 4) should be the best option. Once the CR is raised, necessary impact analysis can be done and all documents can be forwarded to CCB.

So I will go for Option 4.

Hope my reasoning is ok.

yes correct and without a formal change request PM cannot perform option #3
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”