CSM Forum Banner

Process Analysis vs Root cause Analysis

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
nirajsys@gmail.com
Participant
Participant

Process Analysis vs Root cause Analysis

Postby nirajsys@gmail.com Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:43 pm

Question 1

Stuart is managing an investment banking project.Project is being executed for an international customer.He received feedback from his team about one of the processes saying that it is behaving erratically.He wants to analyse root cause and study the problems experienced by the team while testing the process.What tool should he use?

1.Pareto Chart
2.Ishikawa diagram
3.Process analysis
4.Project management plan

Answer given is option 3.

Question 2

Krishna is managing a hotel reservation project.he has a feedback from testing team which says that process which calculates ordering of supplies is not giving correct results on week ends.the team is confused as to why it should happen only on weekends.Which tool should the team use for finding the problem?
1.Process Analysis
2.Ishikawa diagram
3.Pareto charts
4.Control charts

Answer given is option 2.

Pg.247 of PMBOK...says process analysis includes root cause analysis-a specific technique used to identify a problem,discover underlying cause that lead to it and develop preventive action.

Should I conclude that when u want to find root cause ..use Ishikawa and when analyse root cause use process Analysis...coz process would always be there in the larger scheme of things?

Also,in such a scenario,when u have process Analysis and root cause Analysis options in the same question,how to correct ly identify the most apt option?

Saket - Pls advise.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Process Analysis vs Root cause Analysis

Postby manishpn Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:03 pm

Pg.247 of PMBOK...says process analysis includes root cause analysis-a specific technique used to identify a problem,discover underlying cause that lead to it and develop preventive action.

Should I conclude that when u want to find root cause ..use Ishikawa and when analyse root cause use process Analysis...coz process would always be there in the larger scheme of things?

thats not the right approach, I am not sure if there is difference between analyse root cause and find root cause, they are the same.

Also,in such a scenario,when u have process Analysis and root cause Analysis options in the same question,how to correct ly identify the most apt option?

Difficult to determine, if you are in quality assurance process and the question describes scenario where the whole process needs to be relooked in terms of optimization then I would go with process analysis, if the question describes a specific problem whose root cause needs to be identified then it should be RCA.

we discussed in our clarification session, question 1 is not very convincing to me however since it describes about quality assurance we may go with process analysis, at the same time since process analysis includes ishikawa and question also mentions to find root cause ishiqawa is also possible answer
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
nirajsys@gmail.com
Participant
Participant

Re: Process Analysis vs Root cause Analysis

Postby nirajsys@gmail.com Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks Manish

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”