CSM Forum Banner

Critical Path

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Critical Path

Postby nazrulq Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:53 pm

Q. Critical Path Assumes which of the following:

1. There is no resource limitation needed.

2. Resource Optimization has occurred already.

3. Resource Limitation Needed.

4. Start and finish dates of the activities are fixed!
nirajsys@gmail.com
Participant
Participant

Re: Critical Path

Postby nirajsys@gmail.com Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:29 pm

I think option 4 is most apt.

That's the underlying principle of PND and hence the critical path.

Option 1 cannot be deciphered from the data given

Option 2&3 are related to resource constrained critical path i.e. critical chain method.
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nazrulq Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:40 am

In Critical Path, there is no Resouce Limitation.Usually, to calculate critical path method there is no resource limitation
considered. I might be wrong !

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

The correct answer was Option 1.

Want to Clarify!
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Postby pmp_learner Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:17 am

Agree with you both Niraj and Nazrul,
In my opinion also Option 4 should be the right answer.
What is the source of the question and what explanation was given for Option 1 ?

- Kavita
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Postby pmp_learner Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:16 am

Hi Guys,
I skimmed through the section 6.6.2.2 from PMBOK on Critical path..
Initially when I chose "option 4 - Start and finish dates of the activities are fixed! " for the qsn given in the forum thread, my understanding was that Critical Path has "Zero Float". Here is an eye opener :

Page 177, PMBOK says:
.... A CPM critical path is normally characterized by zero total float on the critical path. As implemented with PDM sequencing, critical paths may have positive, zero or negative total float depending on constraints applied.

When I re-think on the 4th option, it says Start and finish dates of the activities are fixed. However its not the date, its duration of critical path activities are fixed . Hence looking at the given option, "option 1 - There is no resource limitation needed. " seems the right choice. However It is a valid assumption for both critical and other logical paths on schedule network diagram.

PMBOK Page 176, sction 6.6.2.2 says:
"This schedule network analysis technique calculates the ES, EF, LS, LF for all the activities without regard for any resource limitations by the performing a forward and backwrd pass analysis through the schedule network..."

Manish/Saket : can you please provide your inputs on this please.

Thanks
Kavita
achintyak

Postby achintyak Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:40 am

Adding resources to the critical path will ensure your project to complete earlier, so there is no resource limitation needed.

nazrulq wrote:In Critical Path, there is no Resouce Limitation.Usually, to calculate critical path method there is no resource limitation
considered. I might be wrong !

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

The correct answer was Option 1.

Want to Clarify!
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:14 am

good discussion and only one got it right

The question is easy one if you understand the difference between CP and CC method.

While calculating critical path PM does not take into consideration that resources are a constraint, while in CC method resources are the biggest contraint.

So option #1 is the right choice as when PM does the CP calculation it is the available float that decided which is critical path not if we have any resource constraint on that path or not
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Postby pmp_learner Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:46 am

Thanks Manish for providing the feedback and confirming that option 1 was the correct choice.

Just to make things clear in my mind, can you please confirm or provide the feedback on the following :
- can critical path have float?
- Is my understanding (I have explained and highlighted in the above post) about float on critical path & duration NOT start / finish date for critical path activities correct?

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Kavita
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:23 pm

pmp_learner wrote:Thanks Manish for providing the feedback and confirming that option 1 was the correct choice.

Just to make things clear in my mind, can you please confirm or provide the feedback on the following :
- can critical path have float? Yes during the course of the project it can have, though initial SND will usually have 0 float

- Is my understanding (I have explained and highlighted in the above post) about float on critical path & duration NOT start / finish date for critical path activities correct?

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Kavita
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nazrulq Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:45 am

Thanks Manish by assumption was right. By definition Critical Path have "zero Float". If there is a negative float then it means the activities were fast tracked or crushed .Buffer is removed usually from Critical Path but imposed in Critical Chain as feeding buffer and project buffer!

Regards!

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”