CSM Forum Banner

Change Management procedure

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Change Management procedure

Postby nazrulq Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:09 am

I am sharing my view points regarding change management procedure as now a days lots of situational questions regarding change management issues are coming in PMP exam.

The procedures in order is listed below:

1. Evaluation of Changes
a. PM by himself.
b. With Project Team

2. Identify Options.
a. Prevent unnecessary changes
b. Fast tracking ( Incase of schedule changes)
c. Crushing ( Also subject to approval by sponsor)
d. what-if analysis

3. Get the approval internally within the organization
a. change control board (If there is any)
b. Sponsor

4. Get customers approval
a. Approval
b. Rejection
c. Recommendation

5. Record the approval or rejection to change log.

6. Updates
a. Project Documents ( Most of the cases)
b. Project Management Plan
c.OPA Updates

N.B. Any Suggestion will be much appreciated.
Last edited by nazrulq on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
kushalks87
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Change Management procedure

Postby kushalks87 Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:15 am

hello,

this is good however one question which always boggles my mind is the below scenario:

You are building a house and sponsor wants to add one more floor at the executing part of the project.
You study the request and opine that this is out of scope and adding a new floor will take additional 14 weeks.

In the above scenario can one say the evaluation of the Change request has been done? or it is still work in progress as the PM still needs to evaluate costs and other project constraints?
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Postby pmp_learner Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:28 am

Hi Kushal,
In the scenario you mentioned, PM has just looked at the request and identified that this request was not included in scope. There is no mention of that change request has been submitted and analyzed against other parameters in integrated change control. There could be just an initial assessment by looking at the additional request, expert judgment or analogues estimates for the duration.. But he will have to submit a change request. This change request then will be analyzed for overall impact on project during Integrated change control.
Hope this makes sense.

Manish/Saket : Appreciate your response on this please.

Thanks
Kavita
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nazrulq Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:03 pm

In addition, Change Request must be approved by CCB and by the sponsor (who provides funding) as it requires additional cost, time and resources.Scope to be changed too!
Once all has been approved it has to be recorded to Change log and Project Management Plan and Project Document to be updated.
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Postby pmp_learner Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi Nazrulq,
Regarding approved by CCB and sponsor, I agree with you. That also could be the case/ process to follow.
However I would think it would really depend how the change control procedures are defined in your change management/Project Management Plan.
Even schedule and cost changes can be approved by PM if your plan ( also possibly project charter) authorise PM to do so.

Let me know your thoughts on the same.
Also appreciate Manish/Saket's input.
Regards
Kavita
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nazrulq Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:45 am

Hello!

Not everytime PM is approving (As defined in Project Charter) it requires final approval in terms of cost which also relates to scope, schedule, risk, and resources.
Please remember triple constraint is the basic and in addition risk, resources and quality any of those six constraints need the approval of sponsor when it relates in terms cost.
That is my point of view.
Saket/Manish can explain better!

Thanks.
Regards,
Nazrul
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:10 pm

Very good discussion.
Since there are multiple threads around this please let me know which specific one you need my inputs
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Postby pmp_learner Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:48 am

Hi Manish,
Please find below the discussion around this:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
" Qsn from kushalks87
You are building a house and sponsor wants to add one more floor at the executing part of the project.
You study the request and opine that this is out of scope and adding a new floor will take additional 14 weeks.
In the above scenario can one say the evaluation of the Change request has been done? or it is still work in progress as the PM still needs to evaluate costs and other project constraints?
Response from Kavita:
In the scenario you mentioned, PM has just looked at the request and identified that this request was not included in scope. There is no mention of that change request has been submitted and analyzed against other parameters in integrated change control. There could be just an initial assessment by looking at the additional request, expert judgment or analogues estimates for the duration.. But he will have to submit a change request. This change request then will be analyzed for overall impact on project during Integrated change control.
Response from Nazrulq:
In addition, Change Request must be approved by CCB and by the sponsor (who provides funding) as it requires additional cost, time and resources.Scope to be changed too!
Once all has been approved it has to be recorded to Change log and Project Management Plan and Project Document to be updated.
Response from Kavita:
Regarding approved by CCB and sponsor, I agree with you. That also could be the case/ process to follow.
However I would think it would really depend how the change control procedures are defined in your change management/Project Management Plan.
Even schedule and cost changes can be approved by PM if your plan ( also possibly project charter) authorise PM to do so.
Response from Nazrulq:
Not everytime PM is approving (As defined in Project Charter) it requires final approval in terms of cost which also relates to scope, schedule, risk, and resources.
Please remember triple constraint is the basic and in addition risk, resources and quality any of those six constraints need the approval of sponsor when it relates in terms cost.
"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
After the above discussion the question I have for you.. Its really a general question for approving change request :
Does Cost, Scope, Time related changes can be approved ONLY by sponsor and CCB . Or there is a way i.e. that Sponsor can authorize PM to approve some of the cost, scope and time related changes.
For Example : You are Project Manager for a long running project, say for 3 years project, with $20 million cost baseline . I would think that Sponsor can authorize PM either by adding a clause in change management plan or Project charter to approve such changes by giving some sort of amount.. for example: if changes are within $0.5 million , and schedule getting impacted within +- 3 months, PM can approve these changes. Anything crossing this control limit will have to go through approval process and would need to be approved by CCB and Sponsor.

Please note: I have mentioned Cost Baseline in the scenario. So any additional cost (even with the approved cost which is within PM's control limit) will lead to update cost baseline, and possibly other project documents.

Will be eagerly waiting for your response.
Thanks
Kavita

P.S: Thanks Nazrulq for sharing your thoughts and keeping the discussion on. That helps in understanding the concepts better.
kushalks87
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kushalks87 Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:45 am

Hello,

I was going through the perform integrated change control process from Rita Mulchay's book where she proposed the following option:

1) Evaluate the impact: Assess the impact on all aspects of the project
2) identify options: Can include activities like fasttracking, crashing etc
3) Get CR approved internally
4) get customer buy in

so for example a scenario described would be " A stakeholder wants to add a scope to the project . You estimate that the change will add 2 weeks to project duration, what will you do NEXT?

Applying the above approach should the PM identify options or still evaluate the other aspects like cost, quality etc

Also, i would be grateful if you could provide the meaning of customer buy in? Does that mean that post change is made we get that signoff from customer?
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:39 am

pmp_learner wrote:Hi Manish,
Please find below the discussion around this:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
" Qsn from kushalks87
Response from Kavita:

Yes I agree with your view on this scenario, usually if its not in scope then for exam one has to remember that it is PMs responsibility to ensure that every change is aligned with project business case.
so changes requested are sometimes genuine as they might have been forgotten before but are stil aligned with business case and some might be just wish list not aligned with business case.
PM should evaluate the same

Response from Nazrulq:
Response from Kavita:
Yes thats true PM can approve some of the changes however as thumb rule any changes that can potentially impact baselines will need CCB approval unless its explicitly mentioned in PMP that PM can also approve baseline changes
Response from Nazrulq:
"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
After the above discussion the question I have for you.. Its really a general question for approving change request :
Does Cost, Scope, Time related changes can be approved ONLY by sponsor and CCB . Or there is a way i.e. that Sponsor can authorize PM to approve some of the cost, scope and time related changes.
[b][color=#FF0000]I answered this above
[/color][/b]For Example : You are Project Manager for a long running project, say for 3 years project, with $20 million cost baseline . I would think that Sponsor can authorize PM either by adding a clause in change management plan or Project charter to approve such changes by giving some sort of amount.. for example: if changes are within $0.5 million , and schedule getting impacted within +- 3 months, PM can approve these changes. Anything crossing this control limit will have to go through approval process and would need to be approved by CCB and Sponsor.

Please note: I have mentioned Cost Baseline in the scenario. So any additional cost (even with the approved cost which is within PM's control limit) will lead to update cost baseline, and possibly other project documents.

Will be eagerly waiting for your response.
Thanks
Kavita

P.S: Thanks Nazrulq for sharing your thoughts and keeping the discussion on. That helps in understanding the concepts better.
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”