chennai Banner

Ethical Question

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Ethical Question

Postby nazrulq Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:07 pm

The company you are working for has been awarded an engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contract to build a Gas plant. You have been assigned to manage this project, but your expertise as a project manager is in the field of information technology. In this context, what should you do?

1 Explain to your senior management about your knowledge and experience.
2 Ask for adequate training.
3 Accept the responsibility and put in your best efforts.
4 Reject the assignment stating that it is beyond your experience.

What Could be the best answer!
VCAB
Participant
Participant

Re: Ethical Question

Postby VCAB Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:44 pm

The company you are working for has been awarded an engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contract to build a Gas plant. You have been assigned to manage this project, but your expertise as a project manager is in the field of information technology. In this context, what should you do?

1 Explain to your senior management about your knowledge and experience.
2 Ask for adequate training.
3 Accept the responsibility and put in your best efforts.
4 Reject the assignment stating that it is beyond your experience.

The best answer is 4.... this question speaks to the Ethics of the PMI. We are expected to take on projects that we have the properly qualified.
Option 1 could be a possible option but it is not the best answer
Option 2: Asking for adequate training could also work, but then it could affect the project constraints
OPtion 3: is unethical
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nazrulq Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:37 am

Correct Answer is C unfortunately. I can go for option 4.

Following Question is much similiar one but with a different senario. That answer matches with your thinikng.
Please see below what is about!

You have received a lucrative offer to manage a Bridge constuction project . But you realize that this assignment is much more complex compared to other projects you have managed in the past and you believe that you may not be able to complete this project successfully. In this context, you should:

1 Decline the offer.
2 Accept the offer and carry out the project to the best of your abilities.
3 Explain the situation to the project sponsor and ask her to provide you with training to take up PMP certification.
4 Ask the sponsor to assign a project lead to help you, who is an expert in managing complex bridge projects and can be accountable for the tasks.

Answer : Option 1
VCAB
Participant
Participant

Postby VCAB Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:10 am

On the former question, I totally disagree with the author on that question, it is saying that the PM should be unethical. The PM should do what is in the best interest of the project, if the experience is not there, should he endanger the project, his reputation and resources (including financial?), I don't think so and I differ with that answer. I still say, option 4 is the best answer.

Thanks for sharing
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:19 pm

YOu need to understand that Project management is industry agnostic skill.
which means a project manager is not certified to work only in construction or IT

When you get certified by PMI its for project management across board.

Remember this for Exam.

So for given question option #3 is best as if you are PM you should accept PM job for any industry
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
VCAB
Participant
Participant

Postby VCAB Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:25 pm

So kindly correct me, are you saying that as project manager we can take on projects in any industry...under the code of ethic, responsibility, desired, it states, "We accept only those assignments that are consistent with our background, experience, skills, and qualifications." I am confused, could you kindly elaborate? Thanks
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nazrulq Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:37 pm

This is debatable thing . Professional Engineers have their own code of Ethics. Same as other Professional organization they have their own. But the core point is that you should not take that responsibility which you are totally unware.
Construction Management, IT Managagement , Production Management is not the samething. We can not
generalized the term " Project Management " is applicable for all Project Management in each field. In this issue if PMI says that I think their view have to be changed. Project Manager with having no Engineering Background can not be a Project Manager in Engineering Field.
To pass the exam is different as we know 10 to 15% of questions in the exam are debatable. People like us have written those questions voluntarily and those appears in the exams. Sometimes those are deciding factors to pass the exam unfortunately.

Hopefully, that explains more! :D :D

Thank You.

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”