Pragmatic Agile Workshop

Sequence of Steps for PMP Process

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
JOYDIP DEY

Sequence of Steps for PMP Process

Postby JOYDIP DEY Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:10 pm

Dear All,
Can anybody suggest me where i can find the "Sequence of Steps for PMP Process"? or "Step by Step Actions involved in each of the PMP Process"? Remember, i am NOT talking about ITTO. I felt the need of above input when i came across with few questions such as " The WBS, estimates for each work package, and the network diagram are completed. The next thing for the project mgr to do is.......four options given. Now in order to answer such question i need to know the Sequence of Steps for "Develop Schedule Process". The above case is only an example. Can anybody help me on the above.....Joydip
tusanan

Re: Sequence of Steps for PMP Process

Postby tusanan Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:17 am

Hi Joydip,

Can you please share the options provided in the question.

Regards,
Tushar
JOYDIP DEY

Postby JOYDIP DEY Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi Tushar,
Options given for the above Question is
1. Sequence the activities
2. Validate that they have the correct scope
3. Create a preliminary schedule and get the teams approval--Correct answer and
4. Complete risk management
Another similar Question is as follows:
The activity duration estimates have been received. What should be done next.
1. Create an activity list 2. Begin the WBS 3.Finalize the schedule and 4. Compress the schedule---Correct answer.

Now in both the above cases example is NOT IMPORTANT. MY BROADER QUESTION IS the way PMI has defined Sequence of Processes, exactly in the same manner "Is there any well defined Sequence of ACTIONS involved for every process. The above two example clearly states that there should be a correct sequence of actions for every process. However, question remains may i know where it is defined?.....Joydip
dsharma06

Postby dsharma06 Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi Joydeep

Activities of all processes are mentioned in Rita's book. Activities of all the processes (except Planning process) can be in any order however planning process activities remain in the same order/sequence as these are mentioned Rita's book.

You can see this activity chart on the second page of every knowledge area chapter. I think keeping these activity list in mind, we can answer these questions.

Seniors, Admins - Please correct me if I am not and share your views here.

Thanks
Deepak
JOYDIP DEY

Postby JOYDIP DEY Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:06 am

Hi Deepak,
I have made following observation from your reply.
1. You have written "Activities of all processes are mentioned in Rita's book". My observation is, Rita's book gives Action Steps of BROAD PROCESSES i.e. Initiating, Planning, Executing etc randomly NOT sequencial action steps of detailed processes. Only broad sequence is given. Not detailed Step by Step Sequence of each Process area. What i am looking for is the detailed Step by Step Sequence of each Process area.
2. You have written : "Activities of all the processes (except Planning process) can be in any order however planning process activities remain in the same order/sequence". My understanding is SEQUENCE OF ACTION STEPS OF ANY PROCESS CANNOT BE IN ANY ORDER. THERE HAS TO BE A LOGICAL WELL DEFINED FLOW OF STEPS when we prepare for PMP.
To give an example, in the first question stated by me on my earlier thread, answer is "Create a Preliminary Schedule and get teams approval". Now in Rita's book where in the "Develop Schedule Process" or in "Process Chart" the above action step is mentioned? I would be delighted to know the page number. Moreover, i had been working with World Bank Project since last 12 years. However, i never came across with the above step i.e. "Create a Preliminary Schedule and get teams approval". We donot have this step. So when i encounter such question, in absence of clear cut guidelines, how do i arrive at a conclusion.
3. According to my limited understanding while answering PMP Question, the concept of "I think" and "We think" has no place/Value or least value. What PMI thinks is all what counts/matters. The answer has to be precisely in line with PMI. That is why i am trying to know the "Detailed Action Steps of all Processes as per PMI.
tusanan

Postby tusanan Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:02 am

Hi Joydip,

I agree with your thoughts that Rita's process chart does not give a detailed explanation of the flow and only indicates a high level explanation, still if we go ahead with Rita's planning sequence the order is :

6.Create WBS and WBS dictionary
7.Create activity list
8.Create Network diagram
9.Estimate resource requirements
10.Estimate time and cost
11.Determine critical path
12.Develop schedule
13.Develop budget

going by the question description "The WBS(#6), estimates for each work package(#10), and the network diagram(#9) are completed " , the item closest to the provided options seems to be Develop schedule(#12).

While Rita's Planning chart advocates following a sequence , the question has the sequence #6, #10, #9 , can seniors help here to suggest the correct approach to resolve this question.

Regards,
Tushar
JOYDIP DEY

Postby JOYDIP DEY Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi Tushar,
My issue is NOT with Rita'S Process Chart or any other Process Chart defined at high level. Once again let me repeat, i am looking for detailed ACTION STEPS for all the Processes. It is because on the basis of high level description, in case i wish to arrive at a conclusion, i might arrive at a NEAR ACCURATE CONCLUSION, MAY NOT BE THE ACCURATE CONCLUSION. And PMI is expecting only "the accurate reply from us, not near accurate result." That is where in all document, PMI is asking for EXPERT LEVEL Knowledge from PMP aspirant. For example in my last 12 years of work experience with WB Project, i never came across with an action step called "Create a preliminary schedule and get the teams approval". When i asked my superior who happened to be a senior executive of WB, i received a reply that "When team members are submitting WBS they are already signing the same. So why we should add another step which is only a repetation and therefore Non Value Added activity. So it is a futile exercise. Now under the circumstances, if i have to choose the above reply in PMP exam, i shall have to know the view point of PMI, otherwise i shall choose the near accurate result and therefore i shall be declared as FAIL in PMP exam. Near accurate result has got no place in PMP exam. And that is where detailed Action steps of all processes are required.
JOYDIP DEY

Postby JOYDIP DEY Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Dear All,
Sequencial steps of all Procurement Processes are given in Rita's book Page No.512. That is exactly i was looking for. It gives a very clear and transparent idea and acts as a Model for all Procurement Processes. Can anybody including Manish or any other expert tell me where i can find the similar Sequencial Steps for all other Project Management Processes?

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”