chennai Banner

Scope Management

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Scope Management

Postby nazrulq Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 pm

As a project manager you realize that you need to decrease the cost of the project which you are managing. After hours of brainstorming, you come up with the following choices. Which of the following option can help you to decrease cost of the project?

1. Change activity A to be done by resource X instead of Y. X is more experience than Y

2. Move activities M and N in parallel to activity A and B which can increase the risk to 40% and 4 more team members will be required later.

3. Remove a Test from the project management plan.

4. Call Team to work on weekends to speed up work

Correct Answer is # 3.

My opinion brainstorming meeting and teamwork could be more beneficial. Answer is kind of not clear.
It is not desired that PM cut the scope without informing stakeholder and sponsor.
kapil.bhauryal
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Scope Management

Postby kapil.bhauryal Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:58 pm

i am also stuck in same question yesterday. :cry:
VCAB
Participant
Participant

Postby VCAB Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm

As a project manager you realize that you need to decrease the cost of the project which you are managing. After hours of brainstorming, you come up with the following choices. Which of the following option can help you to decrease cost of the project?
1. Change activity A to be done by resource X instead of Y. X is more experience than Y
2. Move activities M and N in parallel to activity A and B which can increase the risk to 40% and 4 more team members will be required later.

Correct Answer is # 3.

I think I have a different view, I think 1 (is C the answer that the source tells?). I will try to explain

The project manager wants to reduce cost...however, the questions doesn't speak to time restriction, only cost.

Option 2 is not a good answer for me, because at the end you are increasing resources by adding 4 new people even though the PM is fast tracking, the question also considers a substantial risk 40% which could eventually increase project cost, because risk management strategy might have cost implications.

Option 3, suggests removing test from the plan, that means the cost of rework and conformity could be high, thus increasing the cost
Option 4, weekend means higher cost meaning overtime cost

So, I think 1, suggests that we remove a more expensive and experience resource with a less qualified, which would increase duration but not necessarily increase cost. The other options increases cost and/or risk which affects cost also.

I could be very wrong, but that is my thought process for this one
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:05 pm

nazrulq wrote:As a project manager you realize that you need to decrease the cost of the project which you are managing. After hours of brainstorming, you come up with the following choices. Which of the following option can help you to decrease cost of the project?

Correct Answer is # 3.

My opinion brainstorming meeting and teamwork could be more beneficial. Answer is kind of not clear.
It is not desired that PM cut the scope without informing stakeholder and sponsor.

I am not a big fan of such questions as removing a test without approproate Integrated change management may compromise with quality need in project.
However if you face such questions in exam the best option is to eliminate , options 1, 2 and 4 do not save you any cost , hence #3 is the best options
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”