CSM Forum Banner

Q - Change Request

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
sunildubai15
Contributor
Contributor

Q - Change Request

Postby sunildubai15 Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:33 pm

One of the stakeholders of a project initiated a change request which was then documented in the change control system. In general, who usually would be responsible for approving or rejecting the change request?

An authority within the project management team or external organization. (is it a definition or near by for CCB)

The PMO

The stakeholder who raised the change request.

The project manager or Sponsor. - Right answer but my my opinion answer should be A (CCB)
rameshsa@yahoo.com
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Q - Change Request

Postby rameshsa@yahoo.com Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:33 pm

CCB or CAB.
ujjal_show

Postby ujjal_show Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:34 pm

D. Sponsor or PM..PMBOK P96,
Friends why don't you referring pmbok
rameshsa@yahoo.com
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rameshsa@yahoo.com Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:47 am

An extract of asme from PAge 96

From Glossary: Change Control Board (CCB). A formally chartered group responsible for reviewing, evaluating, approving,
delaying, or rejecting changes to the project, and for recording and communicating such decisions.

Pg 96 PMBOK...
Every documented change request needs to be either approved or rejected by a responsible individual, usually
the project sponsor or project manager. The responsible individual will be identified in the project management plan
or by organizational procedures. When required, the Perform Integrated Change Control process includes a change
control board (CCB),
which is a formally chartered group responsible for reviewing, evaluating, approving, delaying,
or rejecting changes to the project, and for recording and communicating such decisions

What does when required here mean ?
Mahfuz

Postby Mahfuz Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:54 am

What happen when change does not comply with the business case or scope baseline? Who has authority to deny CR in this case?
Kind regards,
Mahfuz Rahman ,PMP
sunildubai15
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sunildubai15 Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:34 am

Problem with this question is since I joined PMP, I am coming across that change request should go to CCB for approval/ reject now if in questions if both option are available then how to think and remember PMBOK 96 :x
Mahfuz

Postby Mahfuz Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:26 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3257

Check this- we have discussed in the past!
Kind regards,
Mahfuz Rahman ,PMP
sunildubai15
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sunildubai15 Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:13 am

Much appreciated Mahfuz
please answers my other questions particularly on risk and one is one critical path with SF relationship. my exam is on Jan 5th. I want to clear all of my doubts before that
ujjal_show

Postby ujjal_show Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:35 am

so is that confusion is cleared or need further discussion?

Pg 96 PMBOK...
Every documented change request needs to be either approved or rejected by a responsible individual, usually
the project sponsor or project manager
. The responsible individual will be identified in the project management plan
or by organizational procedures. When required, the Perform Integrated Change Control process includes a change
control board (CCB), which is a formally chartered group responsible for reviewing, evaluating, approving, delaying,
or rejecting changes to the project, and for recording and communicating such decisions
sunildubai15
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sunildubai15 Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:20 pm

This is cleared but my confusion relates to risk is still pending.
Satyajit​adekar

Postby Satyajit​adekar Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:56 am

Pleae provide answer on this ,.,still there is confusion
nazrulq
Contributor
Contributor

Change Request

Postby nazrulq Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:31 am

Project Manager or Project Sponsor is ultimately responsible for approving the changes. Once changes control board approves the request it has to be approved by sponsor. I do n't think Project Manager is equally responsible as Project sponsor (Rita or PMBOK )did n't clarify what happend in real project in change Management. Initially PM has to verify the changes and try to prevent unnecessary changes. Once its approved by PM then it goes to Change Control Board for futher reviewing, approval or rejection. Once it is approved by change control board it has to go to the Project sponsor for final approval. Changes may cause additional funds or resources or scope changes or schedule changes even changes in procurement. PMBOK did n't interrelate procurement changes and how it relates with over all change control system.
They kept procurement changes as contract administration as a seperete entity.
Customers/Stakeholders approval is also needed. There is no straight forward answer for who is responsible.But as per Mahfuz Page -96 explaied about Project Sponsor or Project Manager for initial approval depending on the answer options and situations.

Hopefully, that clarifies the confusion.

Manish may give some expert opinion! :D :D

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”