Scrum-Master-Forum

Phase to phase relationships

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
akc
Beginner
Beginner

Phase to phase relationships

Postby akc Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:29 am

1. A project has only 1 phase planned at any given time. The next phase is scheduled once the work has progressed on the current phase . Which of the following correctly defines this ?

a. Multi-phase relationship
b. Overlapping relationship
c. Iterative relationship
d. Sequential relationship

Answer mentioned is C & the explanation is given as "an iterative relationship means that every phase is planned while the previous one is being worked on. This approach is risky in long term planning but useful in changing & dynamic environment.

My query is that why B is not the right answer ? On page 19 of PMBOK 6, the terms sequential, iterative & overlapping are mentioned but not defined . In PMBOK 5, sequential & overlapping phases are described on p42 & p43 but iterative is not mentioned. In PMBOK 5, overlapping phases are defined as "a phase starts prior to the completion of previous one. This can be applied in the case of schedule compression such as fast tracking"
Diagram also shown

In Kim Helman's book PMP study guide on page 31 , Iterative relationship is defined as when more than 1 phase is being performed at the same time. Overlapping phases - Same as PMBOK 5
No diagrams shown.

Please share your view point.
Last edited by akc on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Phase to phase relationships

Postby manishpn Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:20 am

akc wrote:1. A project has only 1 phase planned at any given time. The next phase is scheduled once the work has progressed on the current phase . Which of the following correctly defines this ?

a. Multi-phase relationship
b. Overlapping relationship
c. Iterative relationship
d. Sequential relationship

Answer mentioned is C & the explanation is given as "an iterative relationship means that every phase is planned while the previous one is being worked on. This approach is risky in long term planning but useful in changing & dynamic environment.

My query is that why B is not the right answer ? On page 19 of PMBOK 6, the terms sequential, iterative & overlapping are mentioned but defined . In PMBOK 5, sequential & overlapping phases are described on p42 & p43 but iterative is not mentioned. In PMBOK 5, overlapping phases are defined as "a phase starts prior to the completion of previous one. This can be applied in the case of schedule compression such as fast tracking"
Diagram also shown

In Kim Helman's book PMP study guide on page 31 , Iterative relationship is defined as when more than 1 phase is being performed at the same time. Overlapping phases - Same as PMBOK 5
No diagrams shown.

Please share your view point.

I am not sure which Mock are you referring to, if its based on PMBOK#5, dont waste your time on such Mocks.

As far as phases are concerned
Simple way to understand them is
Sequential - back-to-back)
Iterative - Overlapping but cyclic in natur eof work done)
Overlapping - simultaneous at points but sequential in nature.

Also understand that more phases and the more overlap with the phased that project has , the greater the risk to the constraints of
time, scope, and cost.
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
akc
Beginner
Beginner

Postby akc Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:26 pm

There was a typo error in my 1st post that sequential , iterative , overlapping are mentioned in PMBOK 6 but defined. They are actually not defined in PMBOK6

I request you to clarify the following from your previous

Iterative - Overlapping but cyclic in nature of work done.

Cyclic means repetitive but I am not able to correctly visualize .

Is there any diagram which shows the iterative phase to phase relationship.

overlapping phases are shown in PMBOK5.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:47 pm

I suggest to refer following blog to get answers to your questions:

https://www.izenbridge.com/blog/project ... -adaptive/
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:14 pm

akc wrote:There was a typo error in my 1st post that sequential , iterative , overlapping are mentioned in PMBOK 6 but defined. They are actually not defined in PMBOK6

I request you to clarify the following from your previous

Iterative - Overlapping but cyclic in nature of work done.

Iterate - perform repeatedly or repetition of a sequence of operations in order to get ever closer to a desired result.
Lets say you are building a prototype robot, you do first iteration and test it, based on the performance of the Robot , you rebuilt from Scratch to ensure all flaws of first versions are rectified. In this case while you are testing the first version and identify flaws, you can in parallel start working on second version of the same Prototype, continue doing that till you get a the final prototype version that meets all requirements.
So the phased are cyclic but can have overlaps

Hope this helps

Cyclic means repetitive but I am not able to correctly visualize .

Is there any diagram which shows the iterative phase to phase relationship.

overlapping phases are shown in PMBOK5.
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”