CSM Forum Banner

Resource required

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
pank_pmp

Resource required

Postby pank_pmp Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:11 am

A very critical resource is on another project team. It is very important you get his time for your project. You have contacted his team's manager multiple times, but
have received a poor response. What should you consider doing next?

A. Plan for an alternate resource since this resource is not available.
B. Try to use management influence to obtain the resource's time.
C. Contact the manager once again to see if he can help.
D. Train another resource within your project.

Can somebody shall try and let me know why?
coolpmp69
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Resource required

Postby coolpmp69 Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:10 pm

I think the answer should be D. Train another resource within your project.

Based on the question, I believe the project is in execution phase . As the project team lacks the necessary skills the project work, as a PM you need to develop your project team by enhancing their skills by mentoring, coaching, training (online/classroom), observation etc.

As you are not receiving any positive response, I think the best option would be to train your available resource to enhance their skills if the necessary skills are lacking to complete the project work.
Let me know if this is the correct answer
signor_rk
Contributor
Contributor

Postby signor_rk Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:24 pm

Let us sort out as follows:
A. Plan for an alternate resource since this resource is not available => Possible answer , but it will take time to arrange
B. Try to use management influence to obtain the resource's time => Since the Resource is very CRITICAL for that Project , it is better to use the Management Influence such as discussing/negotiating with the higher management so that the Functional Manager can release the said Resource at this time of urgent need.This is the best possible answer.
C. Contact the manager once again to see if he can help => Not a possible answer as the Manager responded poor in earlier several occasions.
D. Train another resource within your project => This is a time taking step at this hour of need.

So , the answer is Option # B. Try to use management influence to obtain the resource's time
Regards ,

Ranjit
Shant

Postby Shant Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:07 am

I will go with Option D.

My Thinking is after preparing and giving PMP exam is to choose the best answer that is under control of you as a Project Manager.

A. Plan for an alternate resource since this resource is not available => Possible answer , but question didn't state about availability of any other resource with same competency that's why he is critical resource.
B. Try to use management influence to obtain the resource's time => This must we last option as a Project Manager to reach out for Management.
C. Contact the manager once again to see if he can help => This is already done.
D. Train another resource within your project => This is something that is under control of a project and we should not forget in Develop Project team Process we have "Training" as a Tool.

Thanks
Shant
pank_pmp

Postby pank_pmp Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:55 am

Answer is Option B.

It seems that since the issue has been raised few times with another manager with no results and as per the Saket's suggestion considering this as a weak or balance matrix organization trying management influence is best option.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:55 am

Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”