Framework and PM Processes

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
Amit Singh
Beginner
Beginner

Framework and PM Processes

Postby Amit Singh Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:54 am

Hi Team - Came through below question :

You signed an agreement with your client that the integration plan and other documents they provided would remain confidential. you needed these documents to complete the project. Another company contacts you because you are an expert in the field. They ask you for samples of integration plans, which they want to include in a book they are writing. They promise you a "Thank You" fee of 300 British pounds, but they need the information today. What Should you do ?

1 - Say No.
2 - Use the material provided by the customer, but remove all company specific reference.
3 - Create new material based on the confidential material.
4 - Try to get permission from the customer.

As per my understanding, since we have the confidentiality clause upright, we are not supposed to share the templates ( Option 1 ), even AS-IS or SAMPLES since they are proprietary of the company, but correct option was 4, whats the point going back to the customer and asking for the permission when there is straight mandate to keep the provided documents confidential.

Please share your views.
Regards,

Amit.
pank_pmp

Re: Framework and PM Processes

Postby pank_pmp Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:50 am

Your understanding is correct and it seems to be more of ethic question. What is the source of question?
Amit Singh
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Amit Singh Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:00 am

Rita Mulchay's PMFastrack.
Regards,

Amit.
pank_pmp

Postby pank_pmp Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:41 am

Option 2 till 4 do not make sense to me so I will stick to Option 1.
sachinsinha
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sachinsinha Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:16 pm

I agree, option A seems plausible
kniraj
Participant
Participant

Postby kniraj Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:30 pm

It could be option 4 is because ... We can try to get permission for publishing / sharing the template and if the permission is denied we can further decline the request. There is no harm in trying to ask for the permission - does not conflict with ethics. This is my view...
-----------------
Regards, Niraj
pank_pmp

Postby pank_pmp Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:59 pm

You signed an agreement with your client that the integration plan and other documents they provided would remain confidential. you needed these documents to complete the project.

The underlined is more than enough to say no! Nobody is stopping PM to share some other integration plans other this one with special clause :)! PM must be joking if at all he approaches with such request to customer until and unless stated otherwise by customer. That's not the way business works in real world. Think big projects where many stakeholders interest involved while answering in PMP terms!
sundara.damaraju
Beginner
Beginner

Postby sundara.damaraju Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:09 am

Looks like 4 may be corret. Because, if you go by option #1. YOur company will never know the illegal practices done by
compitetors.

PMI Code of ethics 4.3.2 says whenver there is a real/potential conflict of interest we have to make full disclosure to
the affected stakeholders. In this case another company offering 300 British pounds may be a risk to the present company,
If they know this kind of incidentes they would come up with a mitigation plan to handle.

Dear Saketh-Will you please share your expert opinion ?
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:31 am

You don't get ethics questions in exam now a days :-)

for me 1 and 4 are the only option, i could select 4 if the person asking has not put deadline of today. Since i am working as PM and my day most probably would be busy with my job related tasks. So giving the deadline i only left with option 1.

Just my opinion, such questions do not have right or wrong answers :)
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”