CSM Forum Banner

EVM Webinar : Clue from CPI and SPI

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

EVM Webinar : Clue from CPI and SPI

Postby saket Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:16 am

You are looking at your project performance report in mid of your project , you can see that your CPI is 1.1 and SPI is .7, what all you can interpret from this... and what all possible corrective actions you can think of ?
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
umeshbww
Contributor
Contributor

Re: EVM Webinar : Clue from CPI and SPI

Postby umeshbww Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:07 pm

CPI is 1.1 and SPI is .7

Your project well under budget (you earned value is $1.1 for every single dollar you spent on project so far) but project is behind schedule.

1. First I will check Risk register followed by discussion with Team Lead for reason in delay/solutions/risk and verify impact on project due to SPI .7
2. If its below alarming threshold and bringing extra resources (crashing) can get project on track - submit change request for CCB to make decision. In my company we call CCB as Core 3 - ACR, CFR, CSR (Props-C model).

In my projects - most of this issues arises due to delay in inventory from Production or Contractor. With production - you can hardly do anything (due to part of same company). With Contractors - we can give them warnings/escalations or taking services to their competitors - to bring project on schedule.
Last edited by umeshbww on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOAL : PMP Certified by 24th Sept 2014 -- ACCOMPLISHED
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:25 pm

great sharing... will share my thoughts soon... and we will have 2 hour long webinar on EVM next saturday :-)

Image Image Image Image
nagarwal
Participant
Participant

Postby nagarwal Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:20 am

CPI is 1.1 and SPI is .7

The problem is clearly with the schedule. Various options are available as below:

1)Review Risk - Review the risks and re-estimate them. It's possible that when we have done estimate activity duration, we've factored in a lot of unknown unknowns. By reviewing these risks again, may be we can reduce the schedule estimate by reducing the risks
2)Fast Tracking - It involves doing activities in parallel. It can result in rework and risk.
3)Crashing - It involves adding extra resources. But it results in increased cost
4) Reduce the scope - It can save time and money but the customer will not be happy

Finally, what do we do:
Option 4 - Though an option but it's the least preferred option since it will impact the customer expectation.
Option 3/Crashing - Though the project is doing alright in terms of cost but we don't have a lot of cost buffer (CPI of 1.1). Also crashing will add a lot of management time for the project manager and we are already short of time
Option 2/Fast tracking - It might result in rework and might end up increasing the time.
Option 1/ Review the risks - This is the option with the least negative impact and hence should be the most preferred choice.
pank_pmp

Postby pank_pmp Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:57 pm

saket wrote:great sharing... will share my thoughts soon... and we will have 2 hour long webinar on EVM next saturday :-)

Hi Saket,

I have registered for Webinar, which was scheduled on 23rd August but never got invite for the same. May be you have ignored since I am at nascent stage of my PMP preparation but believe me listening to others and attending them keep my momentum for preparations high.

Now question comes
Pankaj wrote:Shall I register for 6th Sep Webinar or not?

Not complaining though!
--PC
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:30 pm

@pank_pmp

The forum is mail source of getting such news... many time we do send email to our clients... but that process is not that much mature...

http://www.izenbridge.com/webinars/free/

Please join and stay active in this forum :-) , you are our client.. where we have kept this event for all.. so most welcome.

For 6th web event, please register .

Saket

Image Image Image Image

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”