CSM Forum Banner

Organization form

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
Sud
Contributor
Contributor

Organization form

Postby Sud Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:44 pm

A project manager is working on constructing a new bridge, but he is not getting enough project attention. Resources are occupied in doing process related work and the project manager has little authority to assign resources. What form of organization is the project being performed ?

Functional
Strong Matrix
Projectized
Weak Matrix

Which of A or D??
signor_rk
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Organization form

Postby signor_rk Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Option # A i.e., Functional since the PM has LITTLE authority to assign the resources and they are already occupied in PROCESS related (not Project related) work.
Thanks
Regards ,

Ranjit
Sud
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sud Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:44 am

Hi,

As far as I read, in Functional Orgs, PM DOESN'T have any authbority at all. So in that case shouldn't it be Weak Matrix? In WEAK matrix also the resources, get occupied in project as well as non-project work as they have to report to PM as well as Functional head.

--Sud
signor_rk
Contributor
Contributor

Postby signor_rk Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:55 am

hi ,

If you refer to Table 2-1 , Page # 22 , PMBOK5 , you will notice that in a FUNCTIONAL Organization the PM has LITTLE or NO authority at all.
Regards ,

Ranjit
namita

Postby namita Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:24 pm

I agree with Ranjit. There is a thin line and always such questions will try to test that

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”