CSM Forum Banner

HR management Q

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
mandarapu
Contributor
Contributor

HR management Q

Postby mandarapu Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:14 pm

The project manager is looking at the project's resource needs and lessons learned from past projects.This information causes project manager to be concerned about the ability to acquire enough resources for the project in six months.Which of the following would be the LEAST effective preventive action ?.

A.Make sure functional managers have a copy of the resource histogram
B.Show the sponsor the data,and explain the project manager's concern
C.Determine metrics to use as an early warning sign that resources will not be available
D.Ask functional managers for their opinions

A - effective one
B - effective one
C - what metrics to be used- project not started at all ?. Not clear ? - Six months time is there on the other hand
D - effective one

My option is C.Please comment on this also which is the right option per you ?.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HR management Q

Postby saket Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:35 am

This question of Rita is bit thin like and i understand it talks about A as answer , but i feel the D is more appropriate . Other can share their view... no one know how PMI is going to judge the answer....
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
namita

Postby namita Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:44 am

i am confused as well...

I found option B the weakest. Reason because, it is saying "Show the sponsor the data,and explain the project manager's concern"...

Project Manager himself has to do, who is showing to sponsor and explaining?
mandarapu
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mandarapu Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:13 am

PM can show the sponsor based on the data to sponsor - as it is not in his hands now, only thing is he cannot take this to sponsor with out working on it with his team. It is given A as the option with wage explanation and I agree with Option D - becos he cannot take opinion of functional manager's opinion ( it looks informal ) rather he should negotiate with functional manager as there is data available with him.

Thanks,Ram.
pankaj.barnwal
Beginner
Beginner

Postby pankaj.barnwal Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:18 am

For resource, either Functional manager or sponsor can only provide.
Now, just by sending resource histogram to functional manager will not help PM to gain resources or come to a conclusion. But discussing with them or taking their opinions, PM can definitely look for options to get resources.
sunku65
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sunku65 Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:58 pm

Answer is A.
bs_pani

Re: Rita HR management Q29

Postby bs_pani Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:14 am

There is no definite answer came out of previous discussion. I would like to hear from the active member regarding their opinion.

I will go with Option C – Do we really use any metrics to measure the human resource availability six month down the line? I can understand if the resource is related to cost or time then we can have a measuring criteria defined during planning.
signor_rk
Contributor
Contributor

Postby signor_rk Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:14 am

As per Rita's Book Page # 379 , it has been given more priority towards effective communication.

Except Option # A) , others are more interactive , which would be helpful in acquiring the Project Resources. But simply handing over a copy of the Resource Histogram without any discussion with the Functional Managers about the requirements/deployment of Project Resources will not help. Functional Managers have the tendency not to provide the Resources under him/her is a natural phenomena everywhere specially in the Construction Industries !!!

Thanks
Regards ,

Ranjit
neham

Postby neham Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:16 am

A is the answer.

Another way to look at it is - all the other options address the problem. Option A is an action that should be taken irrespective of the issue. It has LEAST consequence in taking the issue forward.

For option B : If the project is likely to be delayed due to lack of resources the sponsor should know. It can also assist in contingency measures
For option C: The PM has concluded this from Historical data. So he can always form a numerical impact & likelihood metrics to assess further action

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”