CSM Forum Banner

Cost baselie is BAC - Right ?.

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
mandarapu
Contributor
Contributor

Cost baselie is BAC - Right ?.

Postby mandarapu Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:40 am

Hey !! With reference to page 213 in PMBOK simple question !! Cost baseline is BAC ( budget at completion ) or Project budget( which is cost base line + management reserve ) ?.
signor_rk
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cost baselie is BAC - Right ?.

Postby signor_rk Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:23 pm

With ref. to PMBOK5 Page#s 213 & 534 , this clearly mentions the followings:

Cost Baseline : The approved version of the time - phased project budget , EXCLUDING any management reserves ( which is BAC).
Project Budget : BAC + Management Reserve

Any comments please.
Regards ,

Ranjit
mandarapu
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cost baselie is BAC - Right ?.

Postby mandarapu Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:20 am

The actual question is this below - and the reason why I had to ask the above question ?.

Project budget or Cost budget ( BAC ) Vs Cost baseline : Refer 'Determine budget' process - page no 213 of PMBOK.

The project budget or BAC or budget at completion is never part of project management plan, only the cost baseline,
cost management plan are part of PMP.Also management reserves which are part of Cost budget may be known only to the
project manager and senior management and not at the team lead level. Still I see this in my company, all test leads
will have this in the weekly report of different test releases ?.And then when we work with EVM - earned value measurement,
we always think that EV will be reaching BAC and at times we need not use the management reserve - so does this mean we
are eating away management reserves also when the project completes - not necessary know ?.

Also the output of "Determine budget" is the cost base line and not actually project cost budget though we calculate
budget there; which in turn goes as an input to Control costs. Though we know budget, it is not in inputs to 'cost control'
(of course this is M & C part ) which is the next process of 'Determine budget'. Please confirm whether I am right ?.

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”