Passed PMP First attempt with Above Target in All Domains

PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories
puja.pajan1984

Passed PMP First attempt with Above Target in All Domains

Postby puja.pajan1984 Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:34 pm

Hello all,

I would like to share the news that I have passed my PMP exam with flying colors - Above Target in All Domain.

First - The details from the exam itself -

1. I had heard that first 15 questions would be really tough, so I had prepared to started from the 200th question. But, when I saw the first question, it was very simple, so I changed my strategy and started with 1st question itself.
2. I actually has 1 question exactly the same as I had seen on this forum about SPI/ CPI with SPI <1 at completion. I knew the answer (thanks to this forum here), I marked it and moved on.
3. There was a very simple looking network diagram question, with very bad 4 choices. To me none of the options were right, and I wasted 10 mins on this. I Kept telling myself to just leave the question, but my other heart kept scribbling. BAD IDEA!!! YoU have to stop when u have spent more than a minute or 2.
4. During my practice tests, I had realized that I tend to get starting questions ~10 questions wrong, may be because of anxiety. So, last 30 minutes, I reviewed my first 20 questions and had to change answers to many of them.
5. Some questions were very weird. Like you could not tell which process you were in. For example, the team had tested and passed the deliverable, what would you do next. There was no option of validate scope or control. The only relevant choice was "closing the project" others we raise a change request, go through ICC etc. Which didnt make sense with given info. So, there were questions like so simple that they may sound too good to be true and you many spend time trying to read between the lines and plague the answer with assumptions (BAD Idea!)

Prep I did - I dont want to go into that because my prep was very tough and not a true representation. I am a working mom of 2 year old and my work schedule is 12-13 hours a day. I would start studying at 12 am and go till 4 am, and go to office at 9 :(... I live in New York, so I have no domestic help :(.. I am the domestic help :D ..

One very big take away from the exam -
1. For ITTOs - You really need to know what is in the Plan ie. Stakeholder Management Plan VS Communication management plan. Resource breakdown structure Vs Org breakdown Structure Vs Project Breakdown Structure. Risk management Plan VS Risk register VS HR management for roles and responsibilities etc.
2. Tools and Techniques - If you plan to memorize the ITTOs, please focus on the "branching" of the tools/tech for example Facilitation Technique in Created Project Charter has "Brainstorming, Problem Solving etc".. So Instead of learning just FT, learn all of these as separate tools because I had many questions on which technique you would use and the options were these nested techniques.
3. Definitions of each tool/ technique - What it is. Whats the different between Pareto chart Vs Histogram Vs Checksheet etc.
4. Output - where ever it says Project management plan update or Project Doc Update or Operation Process asset update - you need to know what plan/doc / OPA is being updated. Because there will be questions that would ask you, what should the PM update after this activity 'X' is done.

I wish everybody trying to take the exam under new PMBOK all the very best.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: Passed PMP First attempt with Above Target in All Domains

Postby seema.sonkiya Thu May 24, 2018 5:47 am

Congratulations!!
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Passed PMP First attempt with Above Target in All Domains

Postby manishpn Thu May 24, 2018 7:52 am

congratulations,
how many questions did you get around AGILE?
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories”