CSM Forum Banner

Cleared PMP on 10th April 2016, Muscat

PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories
chandranvijeshkumar

Cleared PMP on 10th April 2016, Muscat

Postby chandranvijeshkumar Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:29 am

Hey all PMP Aspirants,

The brief is not for those who feel damn confident about getting the PMP through; rather for those who still have the fear to approach the updated PMP exam. Firstly, before I share my success story, I would want you all to take note that my preparation was based on the same materials I had before the 11th January 2016. I didn't make any desperate attempt to update myself with the revisions PMI introduced; from 11th January 2016 onwards. PMBOK 5th Edition and RMC's 8th edition should be good enough. RMC's 8th edition (Updated) also don't have any major deviations with respect to their earlier edition.

The main reason that I write down is to give you all a clear picture about the 2 attempts; the former on the 10th Jan 2016 (before the updated syllabus) and the later on the 10th April 2016. My previous attempt was just to avoid taking the exam on the updated syllabus and I ended up failing it. The time it takes to rejuvenate oneself and to prepare for the next attempt takes a toll on you. Only after that failed attempt, I realized that I should’ve given myself some more time rather than just rushing to get it done before the updated syllabus. As said, I used the same materials to clear it on 10th April 2016. So I re-iterate that there is no major impact with difference in syllabus as such! Just make sure, you religiously cover all the topics/ concepts. "When you are not ready, please don't take the exam but you can ready/push yourself only when you get yourself enrolled for the exam". So from my perspective, for a candidate who feels himself to be average, he should at least invest 4 months for his preparation.

The mandatory 35 PDUs which you’d all got from all the PMP training institutes should’ve been mostly aligned with PMBOK guide; which should provide you with a general understanding in terms of the its contents/ concepts. After you course, my suggestion would be to not to start your preparation with PMBOK guide. Instead, start with Head First PMP and this should provide you with a easy/ better understanding of the concepts. It's like a story and you can relate to it easily. Once you're done with Head First, read PMBOK thoroughly and when I say thoroughly, I mean to not even miss a single word. After having gone through both these books, evaluate yourself as you stand with the understanding of the concepts and how can you relate between the process groups.?! Then try out Head First PMP - Practice Exam. This will give you an indication of your date – date preparation and where you stand.? Anything around 60% is a good achievement. Then I would suggest you to go through Rita Mulcahy 8th edition or the updated one (no major revisions) which will strengthen you knowledge base and it should help you to correlate between what you understood in Head First and what you read in PMBOK. Don't be curious enough to answer the questions at the end of each knowledge areas. Leave them to the last. Once done, try attempting Oliver Lehman's 75 Questions (Online version – free of cost). They are pretty tough, anywhere around 70% score at that point of time mean you are marching in the right direction. Then skim through PMBOK or give an another attempt to read it thoroughly once again and you should be almost loaded by then! The reason that I stress PMBOK is to understand each and every phrase explained in the book. Rest of the books don't hit the nail on its head; rather they try to make you understand the subject/ concept whereas understanding PMBOK's phrasing/ wordings will help you earn answers right on the sample exams and also during your PMP exam. I would say, you should be almost 80 - 85% prepared for the exam by then. The penultimate exercise would be to have a solid understanding on the types and kind of questions that you will be face in the exam. You cannot afford to even miss the last word of the question and the way the question is put forward and how you understand within the stipulated time of 72 seconds on an average of each question is a big challenge. Giving yourself some solid time to understand the question patterns will help you earn most questions right. You can try the following exams in sequence:

1. 18 sample exams (50 Questions each) by Christopher Scordo. 1 - 12 is quiet easy and you should be able to score 40+ easily and between 13 - 18, anything above 35 is good. Most importantly, review all the questions with the answers; both the right and wrong ones.

2. PMP Exam Practice Test and Study Guide by ESI International. The situational questions are really tough (though knowledge group wise). Attending the questions and reviewing the answers will let you know clearly where your knowledge gaps are and the areas where you will need to backup more! Please spend time to answer all the questions in the book.

3. Take Oliver Lehman's 175 questions and target to get 150; which I feel should be possible to achieve.

At last skim through Rita again and you can start guessing what's next she's trying to say (try answering the questions, mostly you should secure 95%). Just a day before the exam, early in the morning, read through Rita's Hot Topics carefully and try to answer the questions; which you should be able to say 95% correct!

*Note – Whenever you review your answers and find any of your answers wrong, get the gap filled. Always keep your PMBOK and RITA open when you review your answers.

For those who wanted to know the type of questions I had on the 10th Jan 2016 and 10th April 2016, I would say, I had at least 15 questions put together on EVM & CPM on the 10th Jan 2016 whereas it was around 2 in EVM and 2 in CPM, rest all were on situation questions. On my recent attempt, the emphasis was mostly on Executing process group between the stakeholder management, communications management and quality management. Another easy way to always stay connected with your preparation is downloading the apps on your phone and keep trying them whenever you are on the move and would appreciate if you could spend time watching Saket’s videos; they were really helpful.

On an average try to spend at least 2 – 3 hours/ day and make sure you don’t give a gap. Occasional relaxation is a must! And you should be able to easily clear the exam. MINDSET MATTERS! WISHING ALL THE SUPER BEST TO ALL THE PMP ASPIRANTS TO EXPERIENCE THEIR SUCCESS!

Vijesh Kumar Chandran
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cleared PMP on 10th April 2016, Muscat

Postby saket Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:38 am

Congratulations !!! and thank you for sharing your PMP journey with us.
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:26 am

congratulations , do stay connected
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
jyotimayank
Expert
Expert

Postby jyotimayank Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:42 am

Congratulations !!! Chandran do stay connected.
Jyoti Gupta
PMP Mentor & Coach

iZenbridge Consultancy Pvt Ltd

Return to “PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories”