CSM Forum Banner

Thank You Saket !! PMP Cleared on 16-Dec

PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories
bvanilkumar

Thank You Saket !! PMP Cleared on 16-Dec

Postby bvanilkumar Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:37 am

Yes.. The journey is over on a Successful note on 16-Dec !!

Before I share my experience about PMP exam I want to say my hearty thanks to Saket for his wonderful sessions on various key topics in youtube. I must admit those videos helped me in numerous ways to understand the concepts and saved time from reading PMBOK or any other book. Thank you Saket for posting those videos and please continue to share your knowledge with many more videos. I wish you get more success for your good work !!

It took almost 5 months of slow and steady effort (about 2-3hrs per day) for me to pass the exam in first attempt. With my personal and professional commitments I could not really spend more than 2-3 hours per day. I got worried about my preparation towards the exam date but all my worries went off by looking at the end result. I passed with 4Ps and 1MP (in Execution) !!

My suggestions for the exam takers are below.
1) Before you start the preparation first know your strengths and weaknesses like
'Are you good in reading books 3 or 4 times ?', 'Can you remember reading just one or two times ?' "Do you need to go in depth and understand the concepts?', 'How much time you can afford to spend per day ?"
It is really necessary to understand yourself and analyse your study pattern before you commit for the efforts.
Mind you just by reading PMBOK 3 times and Rita 2 times may not work for you!! So, first know what works for you and go by that.

I'm a slow learner and would like to really understand the practicality of the concepts. I can remember well by listening and do not have patience to read books for 3 or 4 times.
My agenda was to hear as much teachings as possible and understand the concepts before reading the books. It worked for me !!

2) Believe and Trust PMBOK for passing the exam - 100% of the exam questions are based on PMBOK. I've not seen a single question in exam which is not referring to PMBOK. It is necessary to cover all the concepts of PMBOK.

3) Before you start with PMBOK, know about overall processes and/or knowledge areas at a high level and understand them. My suggestion for this is to either listen to some of youtube videos or get few hours of sessions from a certified PMP person or trainer. It is very much necessary to have the base understanding of Knowledge areas and Processes before you start with PMBOK5.

4) Pick quality material- There are 100s of sites and books providing concepts regarding PMP. Beware of them !! Most of them can mislead you with additional or unwanted information and waste your time. So always check whether you are in the right direction and learning as per PMBOK/PMP exam or not.

5) Do good quality Mock Tests -
I read PMBOK only once. While reading PMBOK I did Christopher Scrodo End of chapter practice Tests(Each chapter10 questions).
After completing PMBOK I did the following practice tests in the same order
a) Rita Mulchary End of Chapter Questions
d) Christopher Scrodo Practice Test 1-10 (50 questions each) -Scored 80-85%
c) Oliver's Lehman 75 questions - Scored 72%
e) iZenbridge Practice Test - Scored 75%
f) Christopher Scrodo Practice Tests 11-15 (50 questions each) -Scored 70%-80%
g) Oliver's Lehman 175 questions - Scored 71%
h) Christopher Scrodo Practice Tests 16-18 (50 questions each) - Scored 70%-80%

All the above tests covered about 1000-1200 questions.
While doing the tests I referred back to all the wrong questions, read related concepts again and again and prepared a short notes for review. I felt Christopher Scrodo tests are good for preparation. It covers all PMBOK concepts.

6) Practice Problems -I got around 25-30 questions just on Earned Value Management, Expected Monetary Value, Communications Channels. 20 of those are simple problems. Practice problems for better scoring.

7) PMI Ethics - Download latest pdf from PMI site and read it before the exam.

8) Do NOT WORRY about Remembering ITTOs - It is a myth that one should remember all ITTOs to crack PMP.
My advise is do not worry about remembering them. Just know the concept behind each of ITTO, how they are linked to a process area and how each IOs are linked between the process groups. While you work on the practice or mock questions ensure that you get as much understanding as possible on ITTOs. It is more than sufficient for the end exam.

9) Stress more on Initiation and Closing Processes - Both these processes covers about 20% of questions. Read all the 4 Initiating and Closing processes and Master them for easy scoring. It worked for me !!

10) Expect Practical Questions in PMP exam - 95% of the questions in end exam including EVM problems are situation or scenario based questions. Practice more and prepare yourself to understand the question before attempting to answer them.

From 5 days before the exam I started revising all the concepts. I've seen Saket's videos and reviewed my notes.
Stopped reading from 9pm before the exam day.
It took 3 n half hours to complete 200 questions unlike others. Marked about 40 questions for review. Reviewed them in the next half hour. I did not take any break.

At the end very happy to add the three letters against my name 'PMP.'

Thanks Saket and team again for their support.

Regards,
Anil Kumar PMP.
ujjal_show

Re: Thank You Saket !! PMP Cleared on 16-Dec

Postby ujjal_show Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:41 pm

Congratulations.. And very useful LL.
arjun
Contributor
Contributor

Postby arjun Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Congratulations!!!.
rameshsa@yahoo.com
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rameshsa@yahoo.com Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Super .. congrats... I felt like watching a nice successful PMP movie..
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:43 am

Congratulations !!! and thank you for using our PMP videos and resources , stay in touch, i am sure lots of learning will follow.
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
jyotimayank
Expert
Expert

Postby jyotimayank Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:10 am

Congratulations !!! And wish you a very Happy New Year.
Jyoti Gupta
PMP Mentor & Coach

iZenbridge Consultancy Pvt Ltd
bvanilkumar

Postby bvanilkumar Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:43 am

Thanks Everyone :)

Return to “PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories”