CSM Forum Banner

PMP - What worked and What didn't

PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories
sreerac

PMP - What worked and What didn't

Postby sreerac Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi All,

I want to share some of my thoughts around what worked for me and what didn't - I passed the PMP on Dec 16 2015 1P,4MP.
I also wanted to address some of the questions I had in mind before writing the exam - hope it will be useful for aspirants.

1. Can I PASS and How long should I study?
A : Absolutely YES on first part. 2nd Part is based on your comfort level. I prepared for 1.5 months and tried to be consistent
for at least 2-3 hours everyday. Working full time and taking care of my 12 month baby during my wife's days of
office work. Weekends were booked and we celebrated our baby girl's first birthday as well during one of these
weekends. But looking at the +ve side - expecting my child's happy face if I pass the EXAM - that itself is a motivation to
study consistent and PASS ! So find your motivation and you will PASS.
Based on the time you have for your study, I think it is better to have a personalized plan. So it was not just a ONLY STUDY
period for me but tried to devote atleast 2 hours everyday to keep in touch with PMP and in the end this consistency paid
off.

2. How many times should I read PMBOK, Rita or any other training books?
A : Again I'd suggest based on how long it takes for you to comprehend the topics in PMBOK. I read PMBOK once page to page
and then went back to it several times whenever I realized my weaker areas and areas to focus. It is very important to
know what and where each of the main topics are present in PMBOK - this really helped me to navigate quickly through
each question in real exam. Saket's youtube videos on CPM and EVM were really helpful. If you watch it you don't need
any other study material on those topics!

3. How many mocks should I take, how much should I score and what is most real like?
A: Mocks are very important as the test companies took the pain to combine topics, create situations, scenarios based on
PMBOK and really show you what to expect in real exam. Another important thing is giving mocks is the best way to find
your weaker areas in your study plan and prioritize and work on them.
I did 4 mocks - scored around 70% in full 4 hour mocks and 80% in untimed ones and in Scordo exams ( did only 3). Rather
than doing lot of mock exams, I spent more time on strengthening my weaker areas - if you can read PMBOK, create your
own notes and refer Rita for more detailed explanation - you should be good.
I did one full mock 1 day before same time of my real exam- so it trained my brain to sit for 4 hours the next day.

4. Exam strategy and timing?
A: I planned for a 60Q per hour strategy. In real exam, it worked for me. I did not take any break and was able to complete
exam in 3 hours 30 mts and 30 mts for review my marked questions. Also during first 15 minutes tutorial, did braindump
the PMBOK P#61 Process Group diagram. I did not write formulas as it was easy to remember. But since I had 5 minutes to finish
tutorial, wrote down the TT from Risk and Quality Management - it helped during exam to refer.

5. What else to do ?
A : So you studied hard and smart for 1 month and the day before exam you are nervous. Your brain needs some breathing
space to think about the long situational questions and to think analytically. Give it some breathing space and some
motivation day before exam. I went back to glory - watched Sachin's 98 and played with my little daughter for 1 hour. It
was more than enough to refresh my brain. Go strong and PASS the exam. All the Best !!
And lastly, I wanted to come here and share my thoughts as it could benefit someone planning to write PMP in future. I did
benefit from this forum by looking at the PMP experience shared by members and wanted to give back as well.
Kudos to you all !

Oh and about the title on What didn't work - My initial plan was to attempt tough Qs - Oliver 75,175, downloaded from internet etc. But didn't had time to do those but no regrets as well. The mocks you do should be enough - PMP exam for me was 10 to 20% more tougher than my mocks- nothing more. So don't worry- if you master the 4 Knowledge area and don't rely too much on memorization, you are good to PASS.
ujjal_show

Re: PMP - What worked and What didn't

Postby ujjal_show Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:20 am

congratulation..!
sreerac

Postby sreerac Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks Ujjal...
arjun
Contributor
Contributor

Postby arjun Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:11 am

Congratulations, celebrations time for you !!

approx how many math questions you got..
sriniraman
Beginner
Beginner

Postby sriniraman Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:37 am

Congratulations !!! Thanks for your lessons learned tips.
khenatram
Beginner
Beginner

Postby khenatram Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:17 am

Congratulations :)
sreerac

Postby sreerac Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:37 am

arjun wrote:Congratulations, celebrations time for you !!

approx how many math questions you got..

Hi Arjun, Thank you ! I did get a good no of questions which involved calculations- more than 15 for sure. In fact my initial 3 questions required calculations. Also I did ask for a calculator at the center though the test had inbuilt calculator. It helped for me - please ask for one if you aren't used to the screen calculator.
sreerac

Postby sreerac Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:38 am

sriniraman wrote:Congratulations !!! Thanks for your lessons learned tips.

Thanks Sriniraman. All the best to you as well !
sreerac

Postby sreerac Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:41 am

khenatram wrote:Congratulations :)

Thank you Khenatram
ayanroy

Postby ayanroy Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Congrats. I have scheduled my exam on 7th Jan 2016
sreerac

Postby sreerac Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:46 pm

ayanroy wrote:Congrats. I have scheduled my exam on 7th Jan 2016

Thanks Ayanroy! All the very best for your preparation and good luck for your exam. Please feel free to ask if any questions.
rameshsa@yahoo.com
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rameshsa@yahoo.com Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Awesome.. hearty congrats...
sreerac

Postby sreerac Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:11 am

rameshsa@yahoo.com wrote:Awesome.. hearty congrats...

Thanks Ramesh!
mdasif_99

Postby mdasif_99 Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:40 pm

Congrats!
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:56 am

Thank you for posting your detailed lesson learned here... i missed this thread somehow before... :-(... its better late than never. :-)
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image

Return to “PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories”