Passed PMP

PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories
krishnaiyer01

Passed PMP

Postby krishnaiyer01 Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:43 am

Hi All,

Sharing my experiences through the PMP journey and hope this helps you in yours too.

1. The PMP exam requires a lot of endurance and practice. Because most of the questions are situational, it's advisable to solve as many mock tests as possible. Get a feel for the way the questions are worded. Also, don't worry about the marks in these mock tests. Try to judge where you went wrong and correct the mistakes.
2. Set a target of 3 to 4 months to pass the exam. It took me 7 months. Build a Time Table. Be prepared to take time out of your schedules and sacrifice weekend outings, vacation, etc.
During this period. I studied for 2 hours on weekdays 7 PM to 9 PM Monday to Saturday and on Sunday 4 hours.
3. The method that I followed was:
• Read PMBOK6 once and then I went through each chapter a little more slowly and took notes in the form of bullet points.
• After each chapter, I watched Saket’s Video (I had Subscribed to IzenBridges 180 Days PMP Online Course). Saket explains the concept in a very lucid manner. This helped me a lot.
• Referred to Rita whenever ever I required a more detailed understanding.
• Solved all the chapter wise quizzes of Izen and Rita. Took mock exams from Izen to test my endurance and my gaps. Also Solved Oliver Lehmann’s 100 Free Questions.
• Further, I read PMBOK almost 3 times, Rita 2 times, along with Saket’s video.
TIP: Understanding the concept integrated into ITTO is a must. I would recommend prospective PMPs to always keep PMBOK handy. Carry it with you. Make this book your companion. Become a part of the PMI world. I also read the PMBOK processes group-wise.
4. Focus on Risk (PMI's Favorite), Risk Owner, Cost, Scope, and Schedule. Understand how a change request will affect all the Knowledge areas.
5. Contract types and Risk associated with these Contracts.
6. Focus on Closing and Initiation .These are small Processes Groups, but important ones.
7. Try to find out the difference between Monitoring and Controlling with Executing. Some Processes have a feedback loops.
8. Try to trace an output. For example, one of the outputs of Identify Risk is Risk Register. I would recommend that you try and trace this document throughout the PMBOK and find out all the processes it goes to as input and all processes it gets updated by. You could try a similar exercise with different outputs. This should help in solving the situational questions.
9. Go Through PMP Exam Content outline and cross-check whether you have missed any of the outlined tasks.
10. Understand EMV/TCPI/ETC/EAC/SV/CV/SPI/CPI, and project selection methods well. I received a few questions on these topics for the exam.
11. Understand what happens if a Change Request is not approved . Understand Validate Scope Processes(Accepted Deliverable's /Verified Deliverable's).
12. Understand page 25 and the difference between project documents and project management plans.
13. Try to understand the question well. Based on the situation, find out where in the PMBOK the question is taking you to. For example, if it's a Risk question, try to find out whether you are in Planning, Executing or Monitoring stage. This will then allow you to narrow down to the processes. Risk is intermingled in almost all the processes, so read the question very carefully. Questions are tricky.
14. Read Definitions presented on Page 698 onward, thoroughly.
15. PMBOK6 contains a section wherein Tools and Techniques are Grouped (Page 685). This helped me to mentally segregate Tools and Techniques from Inputs and Outputs and also place them in their relevant Knowledge area. This section will also helps you to drill down to find out which Tool and Technique fall under a Group. For example, Affinity Diagrams falls under Data Representation.
16. Finally, build an interest in problem-solving. A project manager needs to solve problems on a day to day basis at different levels. So keep in mind that you are a problem solver. Carry that attitude to the Exam.

Conclusion: I cleared the exam on March 17 2019. I attempted an exam of this nature, after a gap of 28 years. It took a while for me to get back to the exam frame of mind, but I enjoyed it. Treat PMBOK as a reckoner and try to refer to this book whenever you encounter a problem in your project. Initially, it will be difficult to understand, but very soon, your mind will get adjusted to the lingo.

Wishing you all the best for the exam. Give it more than 100 % of your effort and enjoy your journey towards PMP. If I can get 5 Above Targets, so can you!!

Krishna Iyer
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: Passed PMP

Postby seema.sonkiya Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:04 am

Congratulations Krishna and thanks for sharing insightful exam experience!!
seebabhatia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Passed PMP

Postby seebabhatia Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:02 am

"Try to trace an output. For example, one of the outputs of Identify Risk is Risk Register. I would recommend that you try and trace this document throughout the PMBOK and find out all the processes it goes to as input and all processes it gets updated by. You could try a similar exercise with different outputs. This should help in solving the situational questions."

This is a very interesting tip. I will try it.

Return to “PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories”