Cleared PMP!!!! It was difficult but rewarding journey.

PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories
sabsubs

Cleared PMP!!!! It was difficult but rewarding journey.

Postby sabsubs Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:57 am

Hello All,

This post could be long so I am sorry for that. I cleared my PMP couple of days back. Started PMP preparation back in December 2018.

Books and other sources used: PMBOK, Rita, Belinda Goodrich & iZenbridge.

Daily routine: Studied for 4 hours a day and longer hours during weekends.

iZen videos helped a lot to understand the flow, only after watching the videos I was able to relate so many things and there were many light bulb moments. Saket videos were the missing piece in the puzzle. I prepared notes from the videos and went through this frequently.

I did not memorize ITTOs but understood the logical meaning behind every ITTO and how it helps to generate the outputs for every process. I studied page 89 of PMBOK thoroughly, and the contents of each plan and every project document and how these are generated and used within the flow. I watched Ricardo Vargas video on youtube couple of times before the exam.

I did few things daily during last month before the exam.

- I wrote 49 processes and the important outputs for each process everyday
- I read PMP content outline everyday
- Read Rita process chart everyday
- Read data flow for every KA from pmdrill.com
- I had a taken a poster size print of Majed Abdeens mapping (https://www.eyapro.com/project-manageme ... ng-diagram) and stuck this in front of my study desk and invariably went through this daily. I could visualize every process and process group exactly the same way it is depicted in the chart. This allowed me to understand the flow between the process and the process groups.

Mock exams: Answered many mocks. I completed iZen KA related mocks but full length mocks were very lengthy so I did not go ahead with other iZen full length mocks. I used prepcast and this helped me a lot and in fact during the exam I felt prepcast questions were tougher than the exam questions. Filled my gaps continuously answering mocks day in and day out. In fact I did more than 7500 mock questions from various sources and simulators and this included 20 full length mocks. During this process I read PMBOK and Rita multiple times. I noted down the important points for the incorrectly answered questions.

One day before the exam, I visited prometric center and calculated the commuting time to the center and wanted to make sure that I don’t end up searching for the center on the exam day. I read the important points that I marked in PMBOK and Rita and the notes that I had made after going through the incorrectly answered questions during the mock exams. Also quickly went through the notes that I prepared from iZen videos.

On the day of the exam, I reached prometric center by 6:45 AM, I was the first to enter center. I was allowed in immediately after the security check, I was handed a scratch paper and couple of pencils. It was clearly stated by the invigilator not to write anything on the scratch paper during the first 15 minutes. Once the tutorial was over, I immediately started the exam. I did not do any brain dump.

My plan during the exam:

- To hit 60 questions every hour (I practiced this during my mocks and this immensely helped me during the exam)
- Taking up all math’s, critical path, long and wordy questions after completing 200 questions

First 50 to 60 questions were really tricky, I composed myself, closed my eyes and took multiple deep breaths. This helped me to calm down and after answering 70 questions I was getting into a good rhythm. I took a break after completing 125 questions. I finished the test in 3 hours and 15 minutes. I took 20 minutes to answer math and critical path question. I got 5 math questions and one question related to float calculation that included lead and lags with dependencies, this question took bit longer to answer and one EAC question that I was clueless about, apart from these other math questions were easy. And few wordy question just like Rita’s end of chapter question. All questions were like “what would you do next”, “what should you do”, the entire exam was filled with such questions. Many questions were from change request, quality, risk and procurement. Few from stakeholder and communication.

After completing the math questions, I started reviewing the questions that I had marked, I reviewed few and changed couple of answers, by this time I was exhausted and had severe neck pain and my eyes were burning. I wanted to click on end exam but waited for the timer to hit zero. I completed the survey closed my eyes and prayed for few minutes and hit the end button and bingo!!! The congratulation message popped up on the screen and I was relieved. Called up the invigilator, he handed me the print out and I was surprised to see AT in all domains. Collected my belongings and came out of prometric center. Called up my dear and near ones, and other friends who supported me during this journey and shared my joy.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Cleared PMP!!!! It was difficult but rewarding journey.

Postby manishpn Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:05 am

congratulations, well deserved and thanks for sharing your experience.

No brain Dump is new to me, need to check if this is now across the world or only in india
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
sabsubs

Postby sabsubs Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:59 am

Hi Manish, I did not feel like doing a brain dump before the exam and I was the opinion that the time can be used reviewing questions. And more importantly, in the majority of the lessons learned that I came across, many stated that the brain dump of the math questions did not help them much because of late the math questions were simple. So I decided against doing a brain dump during the exam.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:19 pm

I understand that, but someone not allowed to write on paper for first 15 min is new to me
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
sabsubs

Postby sabsubs Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Yes Manish, thats the new rule, we are not supposed to write during the first 15 minutes. I have heard that it's the same case through out the world from many facebook groups.

Return to “PMP® Exam Lessons – Success Stories”