chennai Banner

How to write PMI-PBA BA Experience in Application?

List of learning resources for PMI-PBA exam.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

How to write PMI-PBA BA Experience in Application?

Postby saket Fri May 16, 2014 7:30 am

PMI PBA Certification comes with application process in which one has to demonstrate that he /she has working on domains which are needed for the Professional in Business Analysis (PMI PBA)

One has to describe experience in 300 to 550 characters , and should include examples from all five domains of PMI-PBA,
here is detailed list of tasks from five domains , i recommend starting the project experience with few lines about the project and then focus on elaborating what you have been doing in that assignment. The text below provide elaborated list from which you should be able to get an idea to write a great application description.

--------------------PMI-PBA Business Analysis Experience ---------

The project was for developing a customer relationship management system which serves the unique requirement of car manufacturers, as a Business Analyst I was responsible for …

Tasks from Domain 1 Needs Assessment
• Preparing high level Scope Statement
• Performing Cost Benefit Analysis
• Identifying stakeholders and their needs
• Preparing Business Case Document for Project
• Developing Value Stream Map of the existing process
• Conducting Customer Interviews and Surveys to asses the need
• Preparing and Maintaining User Journey Map
• Doing Benchmarking with the ready to use Products

Tasks from Domain 2 Planning
• Decomposition of high level scope into work packages
• Identifying Business Analysis activities for work packages
• Preparing Requirements Management Plan , describing how requirements will be analyzed, documented, and managed
• Preparing Requirement Change Management plan by detailing role and responsibilities of the stakeholders
• Preparing a Configuration management Plan, also indentifying the system to support configuration management.
• Preparing Communication Management Plan , describing how, when, and by whom information about the project will be administered and disseminated.
• Preparing the Stakeholder Management Plan , describing the processes, procedures, tools, and techniques to effectively engage stakeholders
• Identifying and assessing requirement risks
• Participating in Project Estimation Process
• Identifying Weighted Criteria for requirement prioritization and decision making

Tasks from Domain 3 Analysis
• Eliciting requirements using various tools like Data Flow Diagram ,Decision Table, Decision Tree, Dependency Graphs ,Process Model and State Diagram
• Preparing Requirement Specification Documents
• Preparing Data Dictionary & Glossary
• Gathering and Documenting Acceptance Criteria
• Using requirement prioritization tools like MoSCoW , Kano Model , Multi Voting
• Obtaining signoff on requirement document
• Validating Requirements
• Doing Value Engineering to facilitate the requirement prioritization process
• Facilitating Requirement walk though sessions
• Presenting the solution to the stakeholders and develop Consensus for the product scope.

Tasks from Domain 4 Traceability and Monitoring
• Maintaining requirement traceability matrix based on progress made in development and testing.
• Monitoring requirement completion using requirement traceability matrix
• Preparing Project Performance Report providing details of completed scope , deviations and future forecast
• Sharing Project Performance with stakeholders
• Managing Changes to the requirement by following change management plan and keep log of all changes in change log
• Interacting with stakeholders and managing conflicts and maintaining issue log
• Monitoring Requirement and product risks , updating risk impact and probability on regular basis
• Supporting Project Manager in doing overall risk monitoring and control
• Organizing peer review and audit sessions to get a fresh perspective on project progress and status.

Tasks from Domain 5 Evaluation
• Validating solution test results
• Perform Acceptance testing
• Doing gap analysis
• Providing feedback for requirement gaps
• Delivering end user training
• Securing final sign-off from end customers
• Doing valuation analysis
• Evaluating adherence to Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
• Performing Value Stream Analysis of implemented solution
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
hashmi97
Beginner
Beginner

Re: How to write PMI-PBA BA Experience in Application?

Postby hashmi97 Sat May 17, 2014 7:30 am

Dear Sir,

thanking you for your information and really this is very much informative. Just i would like to add one questions about the same. Since I passed PMP exam, this will not be a reference for the PMI to understand our education and experience level. And for the form of experience of PMP Application we have already mentioned all the hours in five domain i.e. Initiating, Planning, Executing, C&M and closing.

so, from the last form we would have to copy hours or responsibilities etc ????
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Sat May 17, 2014 1:16 pm

so, from the last form we would have to copy hours or responsibilities etc ????

1. You can use the same project and experience which you used in PMP
2. The planning and initiating tasks related to Business Analysis should be elaborated more
3. In Execution and Monitoring, we need to focus more on Analaysis and tractability and monitoring related tasks
4. For closing we need to focus more on Customer Sign off process.

Now you may add more projects in PBA application since if you find that during the projects which you have recorded in PMP you were doing many other project management activities and you are finding difficult to allocate all activity time in BA.

Image Image Image Image
hashmi97
Beginner
Beginner

Postby hashmi97 Wed May 21, 2014 7:44 am

Dear Sir,

Thanking you for all explanations. But still I got 2 points in my mind. First one if you are PMP certified PMI are not going to give any advantage for PBA exam ? Secondly, what will be passing mark for PBA. As earlier for PMP 61% was announced passing mark.....
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Wed May 21, 2014 2:44 pm

1. Yes no advantage for PMP certified paper except they do not have to show 2000 hours of project experience.

2. PMP pass marks are no where declare, its a number which is used by some REPs but PMI has not disclosed their process of evaluating participants, this is the same process they follow for PMI-PBA and PMI-ACP

Image Image Image Image
hashmi97
Beginner
Beginner

Postby hashmi97 Thu May 22, 2014 6:17 am

Yes, the same been told in PMI FAQ of PBA...
Attachments
Pba.JPG
Pba.JPG (55.15 KiB) Viewed 7552 times
pba 2.JPG
pba 2.JPG (85.78 KiB) Viewed 7552 times
lelledam

Postby lelledam Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:54 am

Hi,
thanks for the previous information.
I have already submitted my application on the PBA certification. The project are the same in I played the two roles PM and BA. I was engaded as a consultant by the companies I was working for. They asked to better clarify the project descriptions related to the 5 process Group (ini, plan, execute, close).
I'm trying to better understand how to report it.
On the PMP application I reported activities as Project manager now I suppose I have to focus more on the activities as BA is it right ?
Questions:
1) Project role. It is correct if I still report that I was the PM in charge of the project ?
2) Job decription: This is the part that I find confusing to me. It is correct to put Business Analysis relating only to the part of work in which I played this role or I have to put both Project management and Business Analysis ?

3) Project phases they aske me to relate on the roject phase so it is correct for example to say in the project ini phase I worked on need assessment defining the project goals and objective and the business case for the project charter ?
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:27 am

Questions
1) Project role. It is correct if I still report that I was the PM in charge of the project ?

You can still report as a Project Manager , because PMI understands that lot of PMs are involved in Business Analysis

2) Job decription: This is the part that I find confusing to me. It is correct to put Business Analysis relating only to the part of work in which I played this role or I have to put both Project management and Business Analysis ?

This is the main area you need to focus on, i shared some tips in this blog, since you are also our client, feel free to send your Job Description for review. The idea is you need to only talk about Business Analysis related tasks here.

3) Project phases they aske me to relate on the roject phase so it is correct for example to say in the project ini phase I worked on need assessment defining the project goals and objective and the business case for the project charter ?

Please share the exact question via mail. I want to see what they have asked you.

You can reach me at saket.bansal@izenbridge.com

Image Image Image Image

Return to “PMI-PBA ® Resources”