making of a great scrum master

Soft skills for the Business Analyst

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMI-PBA® clients to discuss issues / tips related to PMI-PBA® exam.
sscortan

Soft skills for the Business Analyst

Postby sscortan Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:45 pm

After passing once through the PMI-PBA online course, I have noticed that there are some knowledge and skills that are mentioned in the PMI-PBA examination content outline, but not explained in the iZenBridge PMI-PBA online course, most of them related to the soft skills the Business Analyst should have to do his day by day work.

Please find below some subjects related to the soft skills that a business analyst should have, that could be added to the online course, if not already presented in some other materials:
5. Collaboration T&T
6. Communication skills T&T
7. Conflict management and resolution T&T
16. Facilitation T&T
18. Leadership principles and skills
21. Negotiation T&T
24. Political and cultural awareness
36. Systems thinking

Some of them are explained in the Appendix X3 of the PMBOK.

Thank you.
costasz

Re: Soft skills for the Business Analyst

Postby costasz Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 am

Hi,

For the below topics, find below my opinion from where you can find more information.

7. Conflict management and resolution T&T

https://youtu.be/AWcFCaUKX2k

36. Systems thinking

It is a management discipline which is an effort to understand the complete system by examining various linkage and interactions between components. Need Assessment and Analysis domains are based on system thinking.
Formore details please see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_thinking
(Provided by Seema in another topic)

6. Communication skills T&T
I believe everything is covered in below section of learning Materials:
Chapter 15: PMBOK : Project Communication Management

5. Collaboration T&T

In Practice guide there are a lot of references related to collaboration of BA and other stakeholders, mostly with PM

24. Political and cultural awareness

VMOST, PESTLE, PORTER's 5 forces, SWOT tools helps developing Political and cultural awareness. Check Needs Assessment tools and techniques videos for more info on these tools.
sscortan

Postby sscortan Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the references to various materials about the soft skills of the business analyst.

My post was not to mention that I cannot find any information on internet about those subjects, in fact there is a lot of information about them, freely available, and as a certified PMP and active member of PMI it is supposed that I have to study this side of the PMI Talent Triangle, in order to keep my PMP certification, which I am currently doing.

What I wanted to mention was that I didn't find some dedicated video materials in the iZenBridge online course about these skills, which cover about 20-25% from the 40 skills and knowledge required in the PMI PMI-PBA examination content outline, so there are important for the business analysts and for the PMI-PBA exam.

There is various information in the PMBOK, including the Appendix X3, and probably other information in other PMP knowledge areas that have video presentations provided by iZenBridge. The video presentation about the conflict management you mentioned is an example in this regard.

For comparison, Watermark Learning PMI-PBA exam course book has a dedicated chapter about these skills, and I think it would be useful for iZenBridge to gather some video materials in a dedicated chapter of their online course, too, especially for those members who didn't pass another PMI exam so far and perhaps are less aware of the importance of these subjects for the exam. It's just a suggestion.

Thank you.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Watermark Learning is completely following PBA content outline step by step. My question is - Does PMI ask direct questions related to these content outline? Each organization has their goals; watermark goal is to provide familiarity to the content in the same sequence in which PMI-PBA content outline is written

iZenBridge course includes goal based study plan, where we designed course which first gives you familiarity with concepts and then gradually complexity get increased to support you in the mastery of content.

All the points you mentioned are the part of the course which you mentioned. We designed the course with practical scenarios so that you can relate those concepts to your professional experience. It could be the difficult approach for many, but it is what required for any PMI exam - A conceptual understanding and ability to decide the best in a given scenario.

If I talk about soft skills, in all BA domains, these are used and course videos explained in a way which forces you to think what to do in which scenario.

I will give a detailed explanation how all of your points are part of course. The course is complete irrespective of you are PMP certified or not. I will get back to you next business day in this thread only.

Watch the following two videos, both attempted first PMI certificate

Following feedback might give you more insight if you compare the approach of iZenBridge and Watermark:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4926
sscortan

Postby sscortan Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Dear Seema,

Thank you for your explanations. I do not want to enter in a hot discussion about what resource is the best or the most complete, iZenBridge or Watermark, it would not be a good proof of my soft skills :)

After two months of study from both resources, I noticed that any of the two resources has some strong points, as well as some weak points. This is the reason that I have chosen to study as much as possible from both resources (as well as from any other free resource that I have found on internet), to be prepared as good as possible for the exam.

If you consider that all the soft skills that are mentioned by the PMI PBA content outline are already explained in the existed videos and it is not necessary to gather them in a dedicated group on iZenBridge online course, it is your decision and it is good to know. Anyway, these skills are explained in various paragraphs of the PMBOK, which is one of the 12 reference books recommended by PMI for the PBA exam, and in my opinion it is a mandatory resource for any PMI exam.

Regarding the success stories you have published, I liked specially this one:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/bgfr2rmsxN4

Thank you for all the iZenBridge materials, videos, presentations, test simulations or success stories, I hope to come back on the forum with my lessons learned after passing the exam successfully.

Best regards,
Sorin Scortan
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:47 am

All the best for your exam :-)

Return to “PMI-PBA® Queries and Tips”