Pragmatic Agile Workshop

Relation between RELEASE & SPRINT

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMI-PBA® clients to discuss issues / tips related to PMI-PBA® exam.
abhi_jeet203
Participant
Participant

Relation between RELEASE & SPRINT

Postby abhi_jeet203 Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:57 am

Hello Madam,

I watched the webinar on Product Backlog today. I have one query to be clarified?

What is the relation between RELEASE & SPRINT in Product Backlog management?

Pls reply !!
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: Relation between RELEASE & SPRINT

Postby seema.sonkiya Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:49 pm

Release planning is the process of creating a very high-level plan that covers a period longer than an iteration. A typical release will cover perhaps three to six months and maybe three to twelve or more iterations, depending on how long the iterations are. A release plan conveys expectations about what is likely to be developed and in what timeframe.

During release planning, we do not want to create a plan that indicates which developers will work on which user stories or tasks, or the sequence in which work will be performed within an iteration.

Sprint Planning meeting is carried out for the upcoming sprint or iteration and it includes details of engineering tasks related to selected user stories for the Sprint.
The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that might be needed in the product and is the single source of requirements for any changes to be made to the product. During Spring Planning meeting, top prioritized items are selected and decomposed in engineering tasks.

Release plan includes time, scope and schedule info for the next release of the product.
abhi_jeet203
Participant
Participant

Postby abhi_jeet203 Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Thank you madam for the clarification. From your reply can I conclude the following:

1) In SPRINT planning, at the end of the SPRINT Backlog, a potentially ship-able item is produced that can be used and can be called as a product.

2) RELEASE planning is a high-level planning process (like a requirement management plan with scope & schedule), not focused on product release. Instead it focuses on the collective releases of the next few Sprints or Iterations.

Please correct me if I am wrong !!
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:21 am

1) In SPRINT planning, at the end of the SPRINT Backlog, a potentially ship-able item is produced that can be used and can be called as a product.

Yes, but at the end of Sprint, it may not be a complete product but whatever is developed is ready to use.

2) RELEASE planning is a high-level planning process (like a requirement management plan with scope & schedule), not focused on product release. Instead it focuses on the collective releases of the next few Sprints or Iterations.

Yes, requirement management plan focus only on requirements and release plan also focus on schedule of the next release.

Return to “PMI-PBA® Queries and Tips”