making of a great scrum master

Functional Requirements

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMI-PBA® clients to discuss issues / tips related to PMI-PBA® exam.
abhi_jeet203
Participant
Participant

Functional Requirements

Postby abhi_jeet203 Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:35 am

Hello Seema,

Pls help me to answer the below question:

How to efficiently distinguish between FUNCTIONAL & NON-FUNCTIONAL requirements ? I am getting confused many times to answer questions based on this concept. For Eg: consider the below question:
non-functional requirement.png
non-functional requirement
non-functional requirement.png (5.19 KiB) Viewed 844 times

In this question, how to recognize which type of requirement is it?
Last edited by abhi_jeet203 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: Functional Requirements & Story Boarding

Postby seema.sonkiya Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:25 am

Please post a single question in one thread. I request you to post these two questions in two separate threads.
abhi_jeet203
Participant
Participant

Re: Functional Requirements

Postby abhi_jeet203 Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:24 pm

I have separated the questions & removed the Storyboarding question.
Last edited by abhi_jeet203 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:43 pm

As per Business Analysis Practice Guide:

Solution requirements are further grouped into functional and nonfunctional requirements.
Functional Requirements: Requirements that describe the behaviors of a product. Functional requirements specifies what the system should do. These are the features of the solution.
Nonfunctional RequirementsDescribe the environmental conditions or qualities required for the product to be effective. An example includes performance levels, security, and the various "ilities," such as usability, reliability, and availability.

Please watch the video for more details:

abhi_jeet203
Participant
Participant

Postby abhi_jeet203 Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:18 pm

I went through the video again. Based on that shall I conclude that it is a Functional requirement?
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Functional requirements are the product features which describe a product behavior -Like, place the order, customer sign up. The Functional Requirements are the "What" system can do. Nonfunctional requirements make those functions ("what" system can do) usable.
Another example could be " A Refrigerator function is to give cooling" - This is the function of Refrigerator but what if your refrigerator give shock - will you be able to enjoy the cooling? A non-functional requirement could be in this case - Refrigerator should not give shock so that you can use its function (cooling).

If a software is reliable, available and maninatable then only you can enjoy its function and these requirements are non-functional.
abhi_jeet203
Participant
Participant

Postby abhi_jeet203 Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:57 pm

Excellent explanation. This is what I was looking for. Now it is 100% clear :)

Return to “PMI-PBA® Queries and Tips”