CSM Forum Banner

Quiz question -2

Forum to discuss topics on Agile and Scrum Certifications ( SAFe , CSP , CSM , CSPO , CSD , PSM etc...)
vivek3377

Quiz question -2

Postby vivek3377 Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:19 am

What are two intended outcomes of the Daily Scrum?
This question has multiple correct options. Mark all correct options to get the question right.

a) The Sprint Backlog is updated

b) The Sprint Burndown is updated

c) Everyone is clear on the next steps to be able to progress towards the Sprint Goal

d) The Scrum Master identifies any impediments
- Solution
The Development Team uses the Daily Scrum to assess progress toward the Sprint Goal and to assess how progress is trending toward completing the work in the Sprint Backlog. The Daily Scrum optimizes the probability that the Development Team will meet the Sprint Goal.

Daily Scrums improve communications, eliminate other meetings, identify and remove impediments to development, highlight and promote quick decision-making. Scrum Master is the servant leader for the Development Team and identified impediments during Daily Sprint.

I selected answers a) and c). But the model answer shows c) and d). I think answer d) is wrong; as the Scrum Master helps the team to resolve the impediments, but he\she herself do not identify the impediments. The Open assessment on Scrum.org for PSM-1 exam mentions that Scrum Master need not even be attending the Daily Scrum.
But surely at the end of Daily Scrum, newer tasks are identified, unnecessary tasks are discarded, some tasks might be toggled between team members. So as a result Sprint Backlog is updated. Also, everyone is clear on the next steps to be able to progress towards the Sprint Goal.
So answers a) and c) are correct according to me.
Any thoughts?
vivek3377

Re: Quiz question -2

Postby vivek3377 Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:21 am

Disappointed - nobody responded to my question.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: Quiz question -2

Postby seema.sonkiya Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Sorry for the delay in the response.

The question is asking about the "Intended outcome"

The Sprint Back can be updated during any time of the Sprint. The intended outcome is more related to the coordination and communication to know more about next steps to be able to progress towards the Sprint Goal.

Yes, you are right that Scrum Master is not needed in Daily Scrum especially when the team is mature to run it themselves and to report any impediments to Scrum Master. If Scrum Master is there, he mainly identifies impediments. Scrum Master is the bulldozer to the team who identify and resolve the impediments.

Return to “Agile and Scrum Certification Open Forum”