Need help in filling PMI PBA exam application

Discuss PMI-PBA® doubts, tips and lesson learned. Master the art of Business analysis with iZenBridge
Hema

Need help in filling PMI PBA exam application

Postby Hema Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:30 am

Hi,
I have a few questions in the PMI PBA application form. Please advise.
1. Business Analysis Experience section -
a) Does Business Initiative refer to Project Name?
b) Organization Details section (Identify the organization for whom you managed the BA experience) - I am working as a BA and technical project manager at customer location. Should I mentioned my company as the organization OR should I provide the customer organization details?
c) Job Title - My job title was Systems Analyst but my role was BA. So, what should I mention as my Job Title for BA experience section?

2. Can I give my customer project manager's contact number for organization contact? (I directly work with customer and he knows all the details) OR should I give my organization's contact(of my manager) only?

Thanks,
Hema
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: Need help in filling PMI PBA exam application

Postby seema.sonkiya Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 am

1. Business Analysis Experience section -
a) Does Business Initiative refer to Project Name?

Yes
b) Organization Details section (Identify the organization for whom you managed the BA experience) - I am working as a BA and technical project manager at customer location. Should I mentioned my company as the organization OR should I provide the customer organization details?

Better you mention your organization name.

c) Job Title - My job title was Systems Analyst but my role was BA. So, what should I mention as my Job Title for BA experience section?

You can mention Systems Analyst
2. Can I give my customer project manager's contact number for organization contact? (I directly work with customer and he knows all the details) OR should I give my organization's contact(of my manager) only?

Either will work, just make sure in case of audit, person is approachable to verify your experience.
pentam

Postby pentam Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Question on PMI-PBA applicaiton Projec role
Previously in PMP application, I have mentioned my role as project manager. Should i keep the same role in PMI PBA applicaiton ? or can i go with Business Analyst as a project role? however i want to keep the job titles as system analyst for all my projects. Please advice.

Thanks for your help

Regards
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:10 am

Title is fine. Role you can write Project Manager cum Business Analysis
pentam

Postby pentam Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks for answering my previous question. I have another question. As my project is still in progress and the release planned for next year. So Can I add my current BA experience into PBA application? like project outcome: progressing well
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:29 am

Yes :-)
jbarqawi

Postby jbarqawi Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 pm

dears, greetings to all,

I have one concern when filling the work experience in the PMI-PBA application, that is about the 5 domains, should i literally write all activities inside the 5 domains , and mition the work i did inside each?

if so then i need more space , unless i can skip some.

thanks
Jamal
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:30 am

I understand your point. Many things we can avoid in project description: Avoid writing words which don't add value and eat space unnecessarily space. Like I was Involved....My responsibilities are....I was involved in each phase of the project…. ,and any description which is not understandable who was not involved in the project. Focus more to align with PBA content outline tasks.

For next question: PMI is not expecting your experience in each task of each domain, if you can show experience in couple of tasks, you are good to go.

Think: In each project, what you did Domain wise:Think what you did in each project and in domain these tasks are aligned. Based on observation segregate project total hours in domains. Kindly note, Business Analysis experience is required in each of the domains when all projects are totaled, but not on each project

What to write in Project Description: Once you listed down tasks and a total number of hours for each domain, mention the description in a way which communicates your experience well using appropriate tools & techniques and outputs in align with the PBA content outline.

Format of Project Description: Now Come to the format of description which is given and recommended by PMI:

A brief, one-sentence objective: Every project is initiated to achieve some business benefit. We need to provide a one sentence project objective.
Your work domain wise: Describe according to what I mentioned in :
Think: In each project, what you did Domain wise
And take care of what I said for Avoid writing words which don't add value.
Here Deliverables summarized by domains (Need Assessment, Planning, Analysis, T&M, and Evaluation) – abbreviations are acceptable – NA, PL, AN, TM, and EV)
Also take care of what I write in What to write in Project Description

Return to “PMI-PBA Open Forum”