CSM Forum Banner

business analysis activities across Portfolio, Programs and Projects

Discuss PMI-PBA® doubts, tips and lesson learned. Master the art of Business analysis with iZenBridge
akanksha.ashar5
Participant
Participant

business analysis activities across Portfolio, Programs and Projects

Postby akanksha.ashar5 Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:29 pm

How do we differentiate between or how does or in what way business analysis activities vary across Portfolio, Programs and Projects respectively?
Just want to have a high-level understanding on this so that I can connect my thoughts better with respect to PMI-PBA Practice Guide and PMBOK references. Thanks.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: business analysis activities across Portfolio, Programs and Projects

Postby seema.sonkiya Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:34 pm

As per the PMBOK(R) Guide Fifth Edition:
Portfolio: Projects,Programs, sub-portfolios, and operations managed as a group to achieve strategic objectives.

Program: A group of related projects, subprograms, and program activities managed in a coordinated way to obtain benefits not available from managing them individually.

Projects: A temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product,service,or result.

Now, a company creates a portfolio by their Vision, Mission, Goals and objectives. They assess the internal and external environment, on that basis, they adjust their strategies.

I advise, referring Need Assessment tools and technique chapter to understand what Business Analysis activities are involved in before initiating a project or program to achieve organization goals.
akanksha.ashar5
Participant
Participant

Postby akanksha.ashar5 Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Based on above explanation -
So, the way i understand this is that the BA activities as described in need assessment are applicable to Portfolio or Program level engagement and rest of the BA Activities described in other domains are applicable to Project level engagement. Correct me if there are any differences in my understanding. Thanks.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:03 pm

Need Assessment is a pre-project analysis. A project can be initiated as a way to achieve organization objectives. Where decision are taken on the basis of MOST of the organizations adjusted on the basis of internal and external environment

In a program, there could be many related projects, and BA activities from Planning, Analysis, T&M, and evaluation could be possible.
akanksha.ashar5
Participant
Participant

Postby akanksha.ashar5 Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:23 pm

ok. got it now.

so there BA activities can be split into pre-project and actual project related activties.
And program is the group of projects and same set of activities will be applicable in it.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:12 am

Interesting conversation so i also want to put my comments :-)

for me its like, when i want to invest in property i am thinking should i buy a flat , land or commercial property , my goal if to make maximum use of money with less risk on returns. For this goal i spend time and analyze various factors and identify which option will be best for me. I am doing portfolio level Business Analysis.

Say i decided to buy land and plan to develop it, now i want to run 3 related projects for developing that land , when i am doing business analysis to achieve program goal of developing house for rental income of XXXX i am looking how 3 projects work with each other, how do i ensure i achieve the program goal. I am doing Business Analysis at program level.

One of the project is developing the house structure, when i do detailed requirement elicitation and understanding of objective of given project , i am doing Business Analysis at Project Level.

These all level business analysis can come at any point in time, it is more about where is the focus. Does this make sense to you ?
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
akanksha.ashar5
Participant
Participant

Postby akanksha.ashar5 Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:19 pm

Yes Saket. It makes sense to me and its absolutely clear. Thanks :)

Return to “PMI-PBA Open Forum”