making of a great scrum master

User stories question

Discuss PMI-PBA® doubts, tips and lesson learned. Master the art of Business analysis with iZenBridge
e.shaaban
Beginner
Beginner

User stories question

Postby e.shaaban Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:17 pm

In which situation is it BEST to employ user stories as a technique?

A- When capturing usability and performance requirements in a change-driven environment.
B- When descriptions of how users will interact with the solution are needed to understand the users' requirements.
C- When the team is deployed in a variety of locations and they are trying to easily capture, communicate, and prioritize requirements in a change-driven environment.
D- When it is important to capture user needs and how they will be satisfied so developers can estimate.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: User stories question

Postby seema.sonkiya Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:47 am

As per my opinion answer is B
A user story describes functionality that will be valuable to either a user or purchaser of a system or software.
Option B is more close to the user requirements.
e.shaaban
Beginner
Beginner

Postby e.shaaban Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:55 am

The right answer is : D

Usability and performance requirments are not usually captured in stories.

User interactions with the solution are best captured as prototypes, wireframes, or storyboards.

Stories may be used with distributed teams, but that is generally is not the best approach.

User stories are brief descriptions of user needs. A user story describes the requirement in just enough detail to enable the development team to estimate the time to build it.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:08 am

It is little bit controversial

A per my opinion User Story objective is not that developers can estimate. A good user story is estimated (INVEST property) and all of the relevant can be involved in order to estimate not only developers.

Visualizing interaction is good way to identify user needs. objective is to understand user requirements and sometime these could be visualized by identifying their interaction but yes not necessarily.

You are right that User interactions with the solution are best captured as prototypes, wireframes, or storyboards.
Vabfzd
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Vabfzd Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 am

So, what is the answer as per PMI - B or D
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:13 am

As per my opinion ans is B.

This is not a good questions, we need to be careful practicing from open publicly available questions.
akanksha.ashar5
Participant
Participant

Postby akanksha.ashar5 Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:43 am

Here, I too think D is more suitable answer as it contains one of the INVEST property defined for good user stories and can be appropriate in a given context where it highlights that its helpful for estimation. Definitely, estimation is one of the advantages but as "PMBOK" quotes always there can be more advantages as included in INVEST but not limited to it! :)
Since, other options are not highlighting any of the INVEST properties and this option D is the only unique option. I think other options can be safely eliminated.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Postby seema.sonkiya Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:19 am

INVEST is the property of a good user story. The key reason for developing User Story is not that developers should be able to estimate it. The reason is to capture requirements from the user point of value and where some value is associated.
akanksha.ashar5
Participant
Participant

Postby akanksha.ashar5 Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:56 am

Yes i totally agree now on the explanation about "key reason" for preparing user stories and hence answer B is correct.

Return to “PMI-PBA Open Forum”