CSM Forum

When to Use Agile?

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMI-ACP® clients
PreetiZen0876

When to Use Agile?

Postby PreetiZen0876 Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:48 am

These are a few queries that has come up after watching the "When to Use Agile?" topic of PMIACP:

1. What is exactly predictive method of development? Waterfall?

2. My organisation has expertise in developing a Job portal. If I get a new project to develop another Job Portal for a new customer, should we use a predictive method to develop this new job portal?

3. My organisation developed a new product using Agile methodology. The product is now LIVE. Our organisation has the maintenance of this product where we do bug fixes and Enhancements. Should we use a predictive or Agile Methodology?

4. You mentioned that Iteration frequency should be based upon the level of uncertainty. The more uncertainty the shorter Iteration duration as the team get to retro and review more. But there are organisation who map the iterations to releases. E.g. for critical project where the customer asks for a monthly release, the Iterations are designed for 2 weeks.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: When to Use Agile?

Postby seema.sonkiya Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 am

I must say, Good questions. Great to see that you are trying to relate the concepts from your real life experiences. Keep it up :-) It will make a difference in the exam.

1. What is exactly predictive method of development? Waterfall?

Yes. Also watch the following video:

2. My organisation has expertise in developing a Job portal. If I get a new project to develop another Job Portal for a new customer, should we use a predictive method to develop this new job portal?

Developing another project in the same domain is not only one criteria we use to decide the type of life cycle. Yes, the level of uncertainties won't be that much as first time Job portal development. But since it is a new product, it may include custom software development, and the customer may have the flexibility of scope. You need to decide based on the level of uncertainty (both for what and how part mentioned in the video) whether to choose, predictive, iterative or adaptive.

A lot of uncertainties also come from the customer. When you are considering the level of uncertainties, both i "What" & "How" part, you need to consider the nature and needs of the client and accordingly what software assets you have already.

3. My organisation developed a new product using Agile methodology. The product is now LIVE. Our organisation has the maintenance of this product where we do bug fixes and Enhancements. Should we use a predictive or Agile Methodology?

What I am sensing form your question is that: you are considering Agile is more or less equivalent to the Scrum. No, it is not the same, it is one of the approaches which gives practices for the Agile four values and 12 principles.

Before answering your questions, few things:
The 1st principle of the Agile Manifesto is to deliver valuable software, so you should always prioritize based on value. You need to decide which one is on priority - fixing the bug or delivering the next feature?
Some bugs come infrequently, may affect only a few users. It may be possible that customer may get more value from next enhancement.
You may decide never to fix the bug, or you may choose to do it later. Either way, you prioritize on value.
For the only bug fixing, you may use Kanban agile approach, I know you are new in the course, you yet to see the Kanban videos. Just for the understanding, you may use both the practices of Scrum and Kanban in this case where both the Enhancements and Bug fixing are in scope.
Kanban gives few advantages, (you will understand better when you will see kanban videos)
• A new defect could be immediately prioritized on the kanban board
• A complicated bug can likely receive attention from the whole team
• An urgent added to the expedited lane of Kanban board and be taken care of immediately;
• When a critical fix is completed, the work can be released

Now, the answer to your question, in the case of enhancement and bug fixing, it again depends on many uncertainties, whether to use agile or not. But yes, both the Scrum and Kanban are agile approaches. There cannot be a black and white answer; you need to decide on various parameters.

4. You mentioned that Iteration frequency should be based upon the level of uncertainty. The more uncertainty the shorter Iteration duration as the team get to retro and review more. But there are organisation who map the iterations to releases. E.g. for critical project where the customer asks for a monthly release, the Iterations are designed for 2 weeks.

Each iteration delivers a potentially shippable product, if delivery make sense, it can be released. " E.g. for critical project where the customer asks for a monthly release, the Iterations are designed for 2 weeks." - What is not clear in this point?
PreetiZen0876

Re: When to Use Agile?

Postby PreetiZen0876 Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:27 am

Thanks a lot Seema, my queries are anaswered.

Return to “PMI-ACP® Queries and Tips”